Chapter 37: The First Cry

Harley Quinn's pov:

"Come on, mamas! You're so close!" The nurse at the foot of the hospital bed encouraged. "Just a few more big pushes!"

My chest rose and fell quickly out of exhaustion and pain. I had been in labor for a few hours now and I was more than ready to get this baby out of me. Trying to push the baby out was, by far, the most painful thing I had ever experienced in my life. It felt like my insides were being dragged out of my body as if it was being ripped open.

I took a deep breath as I prepared myself to push again. My face strained as all of the blood rushed to my head from the force. Overwhelmed with pain, I squeezed the shit out of the assistant nurse's hand that she let me hold. I gave her a quick apologetic look before preparing myself again.

"You got this, Harley." Joker's voice sounded like a whisper compared to my screams.

I wanted to give up. For a moment, I wanted to tell the nurses to just forget the whole thing and let my baby stay inside until it died. Looking back, it was a stupid selfish thought. I decided that I could manage one more push. One final push and the baby would be out. I could do this.

I gathered all of my remaining strength and pushed with all of the energy I had left in me. I screamed through my suffering as I felt hands inside of me, grabbing the baby and helping it out. I heard an unfamiliar cry once my own died down until they were inaudible. I had never heard this cry before and craned my neck outwards, looking down towards the bottom of the bed. I watched through teary eyes as the nurse stood up from her previously knelt position, carrying something in her arms.

"It's a beautiful healthy baby boy." The nurse smiled as she brought him over to me.

I gently grabbed my newborn and softly held him against the crook of my neck. I felt tears of happiness flow freely down my cheeks as I stroked his tiny back with my thumb. I took everything in. He felt warm against my skin and I could feel his tiny little heartbeat.

"My baby.....my baby......my sweet baby, Ace." I repeatedly whispered, not believing my luck. I had really gotten the most perfect adorable baby a mother could ever want.

"Is that his name, Miss Quinzel?" The nurse asked, typing away at her computer.

"Yes." I answered. Joker and I had already decided on our baby's name beforehand, so I was certain. "Ace Napier."

The nurse smiled and nodded as she typed away at her computer.

"Can I hold him?" I heard Joker nervously ask from the corner of the room where he had been watching.

Truth be told, I didn't want to let him go. I wanted to keep Ace exactly where he was, pressed against my chest, for all eternity. Nothing gave me as much happiness as my newborn baby did. Despite my desires to hold him forever, I carefully extended him out towards Joker. I wanted him to feel the same way I did the first time I held him.

I had never seen Joker so nervous and timid before. I made a mental note of his behavior, knowing I was going to make fun of him for this later. Once Ace was safely in his hands, Joker's expression softened into a smile. Using his free hand, he stroked a thumb over Ace's little baby cheek. Ace, in return, opened his mouth slightly. Joker looked up at me with a shocked, but happy, look on his face.

"Did you see that?" Joker asked like a kid seeing fireworks for the first time.

I knew that all babies did that, but didn't want to ruin his moment. For the first time since I had met Joker back at Arkham Asylum, he genuinely seemed happy. It was as if everything in the world had stopped to watch the newborn's first cry.