Chapter 38: "I do"

-4 months later-

Poison Ivy's pov: 

-----------------------------

        Today was the day. After what seemed like forever, it was finally Harley and I's wedding day. I could barley contain my excitement. I wanted to burst through the room, pick up my bride, and swing her around in joy, but the girls insisted that I couldn't see her before the wedding. Something about it being "bad luck".

     Since Harley had more stuff she wanted done than I did, I was taking care of Ace today. He had only been in this world for four months and he was already getting so big. I knew it was close to feeding time, so I made my way to the kitchen to prepare his bottle. 

      I mixed 4oz of formula with some water from the sink and made my way to the nursery. As if he could sense my presence, Ace started crying, wanting to be fed. Feeding was my least favorite part of being a parent; There was too much noise and pressure.

      I carefully lifted the screaming baby out of his crib and cradled him in my left arm. I reached for the bottle with my free hand and brought it towards Ace's mouth. Ace eagerly put the bottle in his mouth before swatting it away. I tried giving it back to him, but he screamed louder as he refused the bottle. 

       "What the hell do you want? It's right here, Ace! Drink it!" I encouraged, trying to match my voice to the same high-pitched tone that Harley always used when talking to him.

       He didn't budge. I groaned as I pulled out my phone and dialed Harley's number. I really didn't want to bother her while she was at the hairdresser, but I couldn't take this for much longer. I wanted to throw the baby through a window. 

        "Hello?" Harley answered.

       "Hey, Harls. Listen, Ace won't stop crying and he won't drink out of the bottle. What do I do?" I asked over the noise.

       "Just pop a tit." Harley answered, amusement clear in her voice.

     "You want me to do...what?" 

     "Just pop a tit. He wants some boobs in his mouth."

      "I-"

       "Hey, I got to go, but good luck! Love ya. Bye." Harley cut me off before ending the call, leaving me to fend for myself. 

      I looked down at the wailing baby in my arm and decided it was worth a try. I wasn't 100% sure what to do. Harley had always been the one to breastfeed him, never me. I started to push the top of my shirt down. Taking the hint, Ace grabbed my shirt and put it in his mouth. He kept doing this until he finally made contact with his target. It felt awkward, so I was more than relived when Ace stopped feeding and looked up at me. 

     I carried Ace into the kitchen where I put the un-eaten formula in the fridge. I looked at the time; it was 6 in the morning. Selina said she would be here at 10 to take care of the baby while I got ready for the wedding, meaning that I had to entertain Ace for the next four hours. 

       I brought him over to the couch and leaned his back up against one of the cushions. I sat down on the floor in front of him. We stared at each other with blank faces before I instinctively stuck my tongue out at him. A small smile broke out on the baby's face. 

        "You think that's funny?" I smiled back, not bothering to make my voice more animated. 

        I stuck my tongue out again and threw up a peace sign, making Ace laugh. It was so cute when he laughed. Honestly it was a bit weird seeing a human being so happy, not knowing the problems that life will give him. Babies didn't understand how hard life really was and I envied that. I wish I could go back in time and be that obliviously happy again, not that I ever truly was.