Chapter 15: what are you hiding?

Poison Ivy's pov:
------------------------------

     My eyes had barely shut when I felt Harley bolt up in bed. Her heavy panting pulled me out of my sleep deprived trance. She held the blankets tight to her chest.

     "Harley?" I asked noticing the sweat forming on her forehead. She shook her head. "It was just a dream. You're safe."

     "Only it wasnt." She said standing up and heading towards the door. I grabbed her wrist. "Just leave me alone, damn it!"

     She snatched her wrist away and slammed the bedroom door shut. I sat there in shock, not knowing what to think. It was not like Harley to be so short tempered. Was it something I had done? I was only trying to help.

     I stood up and opened the bedroom door. I had to figure out what was wrong. If I had done something, I needed to know so I wouldn't do it again. I made my way to the kitchen where I found Harley drinking a glass of water by the sink.

     "What was all that about?" I asked leaning against the fridge.

     "It was nothing." She said wiping water from her lips.

     "That wasnt nothing, Harley." I said pointing towards the bedroom. "That's not like you. What happened? Did the Joker do something? Why wont you tell me?"

     "I said I'm fine, so just drop it." She said getting angrier. She wasnt the only one.

     "Okay, I get it. You have trust issues. But you cant keep shutting me out and pretending that you're okay. You think I dont see it, but I do. So just tell me, damn it. What happened, Harley?!" I said as my voice gradually got louder.

     "I said leave me alone!!" Harley screamed as she threw down her water cup.

     The cup shattered as it made contact with the tile floor. Pieces of glass explored everywhere, leaving my ankles covered in cuts. I grimaced slightly as I shut my eyes in anger. I took a second to calm down before opening my eyes again. Harley had her hands over her mouth, realizing what she had done.

     "Baby I......I didn't mean to......I'm so sorry I..." harley said as her eyes started watering as she ran out of the room.

     I watched as she ran to the bedroom, to shocked to speak. I grabbed the broom out of the closet and started sweeping up the glass before dumping it into the trash can. I halfway wiped off my cuts, knowing that my powers would fully heal them by morning. My cuts weren't my biggest concern at that moment. It was harley.

     After double checking that there was no more glass, I slowly made my way to the bedroom. I paused outside of the door, not wanting to enter so suddenly. I gave the door a light knock, hearing silence on the other end.

     "Harley? Can I come in?" I asked through the door as I tried to listen for any sounds.

     "I just want to be alone." I could hear her say barely above a whisper as her voice cracked.

     I sighed and walked away, leaving Harley alone. I felt so useless like I couldn't do anything to help no matter how badly I wanted to. I looked at the time, it was nearly 6 in the morning. I knew that there was no way I was going to be able to fall back asleep, so after a couple of hours, I decided to make breakfast.

     I put some bread in the toaster as I started to think about all of the things that the Joker probably did to Harley. I should never have let her leave the room. I should have listened better. Why couldnt I hear anything? Surely the Joker couldnt have been that quiet. The toast popping out of the toaster interrupted my thoughts.

     I grabbed the toast out of the toaster and slid it onto a plate. I grabbed a knife and started sawing at the pieces of toast until I had 8 triangles. I was spreading some jelly on the toast when I heard a scream come from the bedroom.

     Was Joker back to finish the job? I panicked as I ran to the bedroom at full speed. I ran into the wall at the end of the hallway before bursting through the bedroom door, seeing Harley sitting up in bed with the blankets once again clutched to her chest. I could see her shaking as she wiped the sweat forming on her forehead.

     I quickly rushed over in front of her and grabbed the sides of her face, making sure she was alright and back to reality. Realizing it was just another nightmare, I put my hand on my forehead. I was on edge, but was trying to calm back down for Harley.

     "I'm sorry, Ivy...just another dream. I'm fine." She said getting  up and heading for the door.

     I started getting flashbacks from last time. I couldnt let Harley leave like that again. I reached my hand out and grabbed her wrist firmly. She looked back at me, tears brimming her eyes. She tried to pull herself lose to hide away again. I wouldnt let her.

     "Harley, stop." I said softly, still not loosening my grip.

     Harley stopped struggling and lowered her head down in defeat. She closed her eyes, refusing to look up at me. Deciding she probably wouldnt run away this time, I left go of her wrist.

     "Harley, look at me." I said softly putting my finger under her chin and pushing her head up.

     She slowly opened her eyes, but looked at the the ground in shame. I watched a tear roll down her cheek. She quickly wiped it away, trying to be strong. I hated when she did that. She bit down on her lip, trying to stop it from quivering.

     "Oh Harls.." I sighed wrapping her in a hug.

     She didnt fight. She didnt try to deny it. She just let me hold her as she started to break down. Her head was pressed into my shoulder as my hands were around her back. I wanted to ask her what was wrong. I wanted more than anything to know what the Joker had done to my girl, but I knew now was not the time.

     After quite a few long minutes of holding her, she started to die down as her body drained of energy. When she pulled away, I noticed how tired she really was.

     "I need a shower." She said looking at her sweaty body.

     I giggled slightly and walked with her to the bathroom. She stripped herself of clothes, revealing a body more blue than it was skin tone. I dont know if it was the lighting or the fact that it had been awhile, but the bruises looked much worse than they did when they were fresh. I knew that I had to talk to her later on. I couldnt keep going on pretending that I didnt see her flinch everytime I moved towards her direction. I had to know. I had to know what really happened that night.