𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝙸 (rewrite)

𝙵𝚒𝚕𝚎 𝚕𝚘𝚊𝚍𝚒𝚗𝚐...
.
.
.
𝙻𝚘𝚊𝚍𝚎𝚍.
𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟷 - 𝚂𝙰𝚅𝙴

The warm, dimly lit room was illuminated by a small fire in the center. A thin figure casted a tall silhouette shadow on the wall.
The figure was shaking, clutching its knees with its arms tightly.

The figure looked to be a young girl, around 15. She looked to be starved-thin.
'When is Mom going to be back...' She thought.
Lifting her head, she looked around the room. It wasn't really a room, it was just a construction made from the rubble and bits of broken buildings. The make-shift room had an exit. It was heavily blocked, however.

She stood up, legs shaking from lack of food and nutrition.
Mother had always told her not to exit home, but she had been gone for at least 6 hours.

She wasn't sure what the outside was like. For all she knew, she was born here in this room. She had faint memories of being carried by mother in thick smoke. She had been crying.
She assumed for the most part that it was a dream.

Her nerves skyrocketed with each step she took towards the "door".
Five steps away,
Four,
Three steps away,
Two,
One step away...

She reached her shaking hand to the piece of wood that blocked the entryway.
To her dismay, the wooden piece wouldn't move. With all of her might, she slammed her body weight into the door.
Surprisingly, the wood was pushed over relatively easily. It came crashing to the outside earth with a thud. A cloud a dust wafted up, blowing in the girl's face.
Coughing a few times, she pushed through the cloud of dust.

It soon cleared to reveal her first glimpse at the outside world. A red, thin layer of smog surrounded the area.
There was rubble of long lost buildings everywhere. The tattered remains of a city that once stood high and proud, now laid broken and battered on the ground.

The girl turned around, taking a look at the home that housed her since birth.
It was nothing but a broken building base with a wall that fell on top of it.
Home.

But what it really?
Was this place really her home?
This couldn't be what the world really was. I can't be. There has to be more. There has to be something better.

She didn't realize it, but the girl was increasing her walk speed, almost at a run now.
'Where is mom? I can't find her.' She thought frantically, becoming desperate.

"M-mom?! Mom!" She broke into a full sprint when she saw the sight in front of her. Tears pricked at her eyes.

It was mom, her head beaten in. Blood and brain matter scattered on the ground. Her limbs were contorted into odd angles.

"Mom! Mom! Please... no! This can't be..." She dropped to her knees beside her mother's mangled body.
"Who.. did this?" Tears poured down her face, not stopping.

A mixture of rage, sadness, and loneliness filled the young girl. She wanted to destroy whoever dared to bring this upon her mother. She clenched her fist, but then remembered something her mother had said to her once.

"Y/N, if something ever happens to me, I want you to get your things and leave. I want you to be safe when I'm not there. You can't be safe here on your own."

Y/N was breathing heavily, her head bowed. Tears still pouring down the young girl's face.
Mother had always been strong for her, so she would have to be strong. She wouldn't let her mother die in vain.