6: Smile, Marry

~Seto~

Marry was smiling.

Usually, it'd make me smile too but today, her smile was nothing but fake. Her eyes were red and it seemed like she cried a all night. I was getting worried.

Before I realized it, I was staring at her longer than intended. I felt my face heat up when Kano whispered, “Can't stop ourselves, huh?”

I punched him lightly in the arm and fortunately the teacher didn't notice this. “I'm worried.” I whispered

He sent a puzzled face as a response but I just shrugged it off to end the conversation. He pouts childishly and muttered, “Unfair~”

I sighed quietly and gave him a you'll-know-when-you-grow-up look. And that shut him up for good.

-

“Heeey, Seto~! Go have lunch with me!” Angel suddenly hugged me from behind, and my alone time with Marry had started to drift away. I was planning on having lunch with her.

“A-Angel,” I scratched the back of my head politely with a pink tint on my face “You see, I was kind of planning on spending this time with Marry.”

“So...? Does that mean you won't include me in it? Seto, I don't get you.” Angel crossed her arms, vividly upset and frustrated. Marry looked worried.

“Please, Angel. I promise to do whatever you want tomorrow.” I pleaded and that seemed to light her up. She clapped her hands and she smiled at me widely.

“Okay! I'll look forward to it tomorrow then!” She turned and her short black hair fluttered in the air. 

“Yeah, goodbye.” I smiled at her. She waved and turned again to walk away.

I turned my attention to Marry who was smiling and something in her made her fragile and it made me want to protect her.

“Let's eat?” I asked her and she nodded cheerfully.

When we were in the rooftop, where we usually are when we eat lunch, she opened two lunch boxes and gave the other one to me.

She raised her hands to be able to communicate with me,“I made you a lunch, Seto!”

She pushed the other one to me, smiling sweetly. “Wow, thanks! This looks..”

I didn't understand what kind of food Marry had cooked, but it was red and it had few vegetables. She blushed lightly.

“You don't have to push yourself.” She looked down, embarrassed. “I'll try better next time!” She got the lunch box she just gave to me.

“Ah! Marry, don't! If it's Marry who cooked this, then I'll eat it.”

Marry's face turned a little pink. And I blushed a little, too. I got the lunch box form her and started eating. It was actually tasty!

“It's good, Marry! You should try cooking me more next time!” I ate more and she blushed as she watches me eating. I felt my cheeks heat up and looked at her with a confused face.

“Why don't you eat too, Marry?” I suggested and she seemed to just realize she wansnt eating yet. She hurriedly opened her lunch box and ate it.

Silence visited the room. But as comfortable as it was, and as much as I didn't want it to end, I was still worried so I asked her.

“Are you alright, Marry?” She stopped eating and looked at me with a blank face. And slowly, her eyes watered and she cried.

My eyes widened and I unconsciously hugged her tightly. She stiffened at first but then relaxed and hugged back.

Once everything had calm down, I smiled at her and asked her if she was alright.

Grandpa's dead and Grandma's gone. My Grandma suddenly left me a note saying she loves me and I saw Grandpa's lifeless body on the floor. I'm alone.”

I felt pity and I wanted to do everything just to make her smile. I sat beside her and look at the sky. Trembling, she wiped her tears with her clothes.

“Smile, Marry.” Those were the two words I said and she smiled sadly but it was enough since it was true.

“Father's going to get me tomorrow.she explained, using sign languages.

I was speechless and all I could stutter was, “W-Will you.. leave.?” I was frozen and I couldn't move because of shock.

“I..”

Cliffhanger! And I'm suu proud of myself! This is long! Oh btw, sad news is, this story is nearing its end.

This isn't edited.

Just saying :p