Chapter 3

Bright golden rays of early sunlight dawned through my dormitory window, heating up the ice-cold room who's temperature made me doubt wether snow might begin to pour down from the wooden roof. The birds chirped happily, whistling a cheerful tune as they flew near the foggy window. Judging by the naturalistic sounds coming from outside, it's as normal as a morning could ever be.

Even though it's evidently obvious a new day has commenced, I don't dare open my eyes to welcome it. Instead, I lay lazily on my bed, pretending as if I'm still deep within the slumber I never fell in.

You see, throughout the whole night, I have gotten no amount of sleep whatsoever. I've been conscious almost every single second, counting out the one time a drifted off for like five minutes before waking back up. I was able to hear Hermione come into the dorm and crawl into her bed. I know she made it here safely, I know she went to sleep, yet I've not heard her wake up. Which is the very thing that's keeping me from opening my eyes.

Let me explain my logic; If I do open my eyes and see Hermione laying on her bed, it means she didn't go out of her way to wake up earlier than usual just so she could avoid me, like she does every single morning. Hence, if she didn't wake up earlier, then it means she no longer feels the need to avoid me. And if she no longer feels the need to avoid me, then everything that happened last night was no where near a horrific nightmare, but rather a tragic reality.

A reality I don't plan on facing any time soon, I should add, which is why I intent to say in bed all day today and not open my eyes once. If I don't 'wake up', then there's no way of telling if this is truly how my life has gone. There's no way of telling if Clover and Felix actually betrayed me, or if Dumbledore was behind my friends abandoning me all along, or if Draco really did say he loved me while we screamed at each other like uneducated children.

It's the perfect plan.

Or at least it was, until the loud sound of the door bursting open startled me, making my eyes shoot wide open at once. I sat up, alarmed by the loud noise, regretting it almost immediately.

"Oh good, you're awake! Get dressed and ready, will you? We've got loads of things to do today" Hermione chimed as she walked into the room, wearing her usual dark blue jeans with her Gryffindor knitted sweater. I pressed my lips into a line, staring at her with the most serious face I've ever made.

Great. There goes the possibility of it all being a dream.

I stayed silent, feeling the disappointment wash over me as I watched Hermione walk towards her drawers. She took one of her textbooks, Defense Against the Dark Arts, and stuffed it into her dark brown leathered bag. She scanned the line of books, before taking out another one, 'The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection' and placed it inside her bag as well. I swallowed, looking down at my hands as I tried to push away the sharp pain on my chest.

"I don't hear you moving, Isabelle! Come on! Dumbledore has to speak to you, and then we're going to practice...are you okay?" She suddenly asked, finally taking a good look at my gloomy state. I gazed up at her, feeling the pain in my chest intensify.

Well I don't know Hermione, my mother just got kidnapped by my uncle, who's trying to murder me, i was betrayed by the two people I thought were my friends and on top of that the head master is doing nothing about it. But yes, I am wonderful, thank you for asking.

So much stuff has happened to me these past couple of weeks, I think it's messed with my emotions in a way. Right now I feel glad to see Hermione talking to me as if we never stopped speaking in the first place, but also extremely disappointed. I don't know how I even truly feel anymore, the only emotion I'm sure I'm experiencing is pain, a pain that I don't think will ever detach itself from me.