Chapter 12

In a mixture between dreams and reality, I began to hear the soothing tune of singing birds, flying happily past our dormitory window as they engaged in a playful chase. I could feel the sun's warmth peering through the glass all the way towards my face, the back of my eyelids going from pitch black to almost a reddish color at the brightness shining behind them. Even though the room itself is still rather chilly, the covers wrapped around my body provided a cozy warmth I never want to escape.

Truthfully, I couldn't think of a better way to wake up. The birds sing, the sun shines, the leaves ruffle. I could stay here all day if I could. It's almost too good to be-

The small, yet powerful alarm clock sitting right on Hermione's nightstand broke into a series of loud rings, rudely snatching away my pleasant morning. My whole body jumped, the sound being so deafening it penetrated through my earlobes all the way up to my brain, making it feel almost as if it rattled along with the vibrating clock.

I let out a loud groan, pressing both ends of my pillow against my ears to block out the horrific sound. But of course, my pillow was no match against the old rusty clock.

With my eyes still closed and my back facing the wall, I groaned once again. "Hermione! Turn it off!"

I waited for the ringing to stop, clutching the ends of my pillow harder against my ear, but it didn't. The clock continued to rattle, not a single sound coming out of Hermione's mouth in response.

Why isn't she doing anything? The clock surely would've woken her up by now, it's sitting right next to her bed!

"Hermione!" I called out again, quite hesitant to open my eyes and expose them to the bright sunlight shining against my face. Why is she ignoring me? How careless could she be to not turn off the stupid clock?

Is she even in here?

I peered my eyes open, squinting at the bright rays illuminating the room. To my surprise, I quickly found Hermione, sitting on the edge of her bed while being already dressed in her Gryffindor robes. She stared blankly at the wall above my bed, her hands lying still on her sides. Even through my blurry, sleepy vision, I could still make out the unusual whiteness taking over her face.

I furrowed my eyebrows, sitting up straight on my bed. "Hermione!" I tried to get her attention, maybe she didn't hear me the first time.

But she stayed still, staring shockingly at the wall as if she'd seen a ghost rush right through it, completely ignoring my presence.

What the hell?

The ringing coming from the clock became impossible to tolerate, yet it seems as if she hasn't even noticed it's gone off. There isn't a single sign of life inside her body, except for her occasional blinking.

After letting out an annoyed huff, I swung the covers off my body, standing up from my bed and stomping over to Hermione's bedside table. I slammed my hand against the button on top of the clock, finally shutting off the loud ringing.

Feeling relief from the lack of noise, I gazed over at Hermione, my brows knitted together before I slowly made my way towards her. She stayed still, swallowing loudly as she kept her stare glued on the concrete wall.

"Mione...you alright?" I carefully asked, concerned for my petrified friend. She stayed quiet, the only sound coming from her mouth being her steady breathing.

Now overly concerned, I spoke again. "Hermione if you don't move, or give me at least a sign that you're alive I'm calling McGona-"

"I kissed Viktor last night" She suddenly let out, her tone filled with horror as she finally moved her mouth to speak.