Chapter twenty nine

Henry was seated on his throne on the dais. Mary and Elizabeth were seated on chairs beside Henry. They also were matching red dresses. Henry smiled when he noticed the curtains were being drawn back.

"Her grace, the dowager Duchess of Hereford and her children. " The herald announces.

Madeleine walks in smiling proudly. Her children giggled as people began to bow towards them. As Madeleine made her way towards Henry, he got up to meet her. When they got towards each other, Henry kissed Madeleine on the cheek as he grabbed her hands. Madeleine smiled and blushed at the gesture.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the court. I have something I would like to announce to you all." Henry says, getting everyone's attention.

All eyes were on Henry and Madeleine.

"As all of you know, my divorce to Lady Jane has been finalized and I am allowed to remarry any lady of my choice. What some of you don't know is that her grace, the dowager Duchess of Hereford has caught my attention. Over the past several months we have become very close, sharing grief over losing a loved one. Her grace has done me the great honor of becoming my new wife. We will marry in about three weeks time." Henry announces.

The court erupts into cheers. Madeleine smiles, happy with the reaction. She turned to see Mary smiling. She sighed in relief, Mary approved.

Henry kissed Madeleine on the cheek once again before leading her to the throne beside him. There were two small chairs on the side of Madeleine's throne for the twins. Madeleine smiled at the gesture. Her children were going to be treated properly and not sent away.

As the night went on, many nobles came up to the new family offering their congratulations. The twins and Elizabeth ran around the room chasing each other. Madeleine laughed as she saw them peak through the crowd.

"Are you happy, my dear?" Henry asks.

"Very much so." Madeleine replies.

"Good. I have talked to my council and we have come to a conclusion that may make you even more happy." Henry says.

"What is it?" Madeleine asks, looking at him.

"You will have to wait until your coronation." Henry replies, with a smirk.

"Oh Henry!" Madeleine exclaims, falling back into her chair.

Henry laughs. He knew he was making the right decision. The court seemed to approve of Madeleine. They would see soon if the people also approved. Soon they would be undertaking a short pilgrimage through a few cities. Henry wanted to show off his soon to be wife.

Over the next few days, Madeleine's life changed rapidly. Courtiers bowed to her as she walked past them. Her children were now given a new governess so that she did not have to worry about their education. When she became Queen she would not have time to educate her own children and Elizabeth. The twins had the same governess as Elizabeth at the request of Madeleine. If the woman could be trusted with Elizabeth then it was good enough for her. Madeleine did not trust anyone with her children unless it was a select few people. Her children were her whole life.

Today would be the day that the royal couple would start their short pilgrimage. They would travel from London to Somerset. The plan was to arrive back at the palace by Christmas. They would be covering a lot of land in a few days.