Chapter Four

*Pretend she is alone*

(December, 1533)

A few days after finding out she was pregnant, Madeleine told King Henry about her condition. James also was present, explaining to Henry that for Madeleine's safety they wished to remain at court and postpone Lady Mary's education. Henry agreed to their wishes and had their belongings brought back to court. Madeleine wrote a letter to Mary explaining the entire situation. Mary wrote back, understanding.

Queen Anne went into labor a week after. She gave birth to a healthy baby girl, named Elizabeth. King Henry was disappointed but knew that Anne was still young and could still give him a son.

He told Madeleine to revise her education plans so they would be appropriate for a princess.

Princess Elizabeth was now three months old and deemed old enough to travel to her estate, Hatfield Manor.

"Cromwell, get Lady Butler here. I wish to talk to her." King Henry orders.

Cromwell leaves and goes to the Butler chambers. The door is opened by one of Madeleine's ladies.

"His majesty wishes to see Lady Butler in his chambers." Cromwell states.

"I will get her." The lady replies, leaving to get her mistress.

Madeleine sat in her chair reading Utopia by Thomas More when her lady whispered in her ear what Cromwell had said. She closes her book and places it on the windowsill then has her two ladies help her up. She was now six months pregnant.

Cromwell led Madeleine to Henry's chambers. He let her in and then left the room.

"My apologies, your majesty. I cannot curtsey." Madeleine states.

Henry waves her off and helps her into a chair before taking his own seat.

"Why am I here, your majesty?" She asks.

"In a few days time, her highness Princess Elizabeth will be sent to her estate in Hertfordshire and that is where you shall go once your baby is born and you are well. You will be able to continue Lady Mary's education when you get there..." Henry says.

"Lady Mary's education?" Madeleine interrupts.

"She is being sent to Hatfield to wait on Princess Elizabeth." Henry replies.

Madeleine was shocked. Lady Mary was going to be forced to wait on her younger half sister. Madeleine immediately felt horrible for Mary, she didn't deserve what was happening to her.

"Thank you, your majesty. By your leave." Madeleine says, pushing herself out of her chair.

Henry nods his head, letting her leave. Madeleine walked back to her chambers with thoughts of Mary in her head. She couldn't believe what was happening. Mary was being treated like a servant rather than a royal child. Henry's bastard by Bessie Blount was being treated better than her. Madeleine knew who was behind this: Anne.

When she got back to her chambers she took a seat in her chair and rubbed her head. It was killing her with all these thoughts.

"Lady Fields, can you get me some grapes and fetch the physician." Madeleine asks when her lady appears.

"Yes, my lady." She replies.

Madeleine continued to rub her head until Lady Fields and the physician returned. She explained to the doctor her symptoms and asked what she would do to cure it.

"Lady Fields, go to the kitchen and fetch some peppermint oil. This will help with the headaches and if you are feeling sick." The doctor says.

Madeleine smiles in relief. There was a cure for her headaches and her vomiting. She thanked the doctor and paid him before sending him away. When her lady returns, Madeleine dabs some of the oil on her fingertips then massages it into her temples. Within a few minutes Madeleine started to feel some relief.

"Close the curtains and bring me a stool so I can put my feet up." Madeleine says.

She puts her feet up and then lays her head back. After a few moments Madeleine was fast asleep. The position she was sleeping in wasn't the most comfortable but none of her ladies wanted to wake her or move her.

James walked in the room and found his wife asleep in her chair. He smiled at her then gently lifted her up and brought her to their bed.

"How long has she been sleeping like that?" James whispers.

"For about two hours, my lord. Since she came back from her meeting with His Majesty." Lady Fields replies.

James ordered everyone that entered the rooms to be silent. He didn't want anyone to wake Madeleine up. He left her sleep through the afternoon and into the night.

The next morning Madeleine woke up as the sun began to rise. She looked over at James who was sound asleep. She smiled at him and gently kissed his forehead. Ever since they moved away from court their relationship was becoming more loving and affectionate. She eased out of bed and walked around the room.