Chapter Twenty One

The night of James' diagnosis, Madeleine and the twins were in a carriage on their way to court. Madeleine was completely unaware of what had just happened a few hours earlier.

"Momma, is papa going to get better?" Alex asks.

"I don't think so, my dear. Papa is very sick." Madeleine replies, trying not to cry.

"I don't want papa to go to heaven." Allie says.

"Me either, my love, but when papa goes to heaven he won't be sick anymore. He won't be in pain." Madeleine states, kissing both of her children on their heads.

Madeleine left their home with her ladies, leaving James alone with some of the brave servants who stayed behind to care for him in his last days.

When they arrived at court, Madeleine noticed how quiet the court seemed. She knew something was wrong because Mary had just written to her the other day, telling her how court was so lively from early in the morning until late into the night. Madeleine sent the kids with Lady Walker and Lady Martin to their chambers while she went to find a guard.

"Sir, what is going on? Why is it so quiet?" Madeleine asks one of the guards in halls.

"His royal Highness, Prince Edward has passed away, my lady." The guard replies.

"My god! When did this happen?" Madeleine replies, shocked.

"A few hours ago, my lady. Their majesties have been locked away in their separate chambers since the doctor took his highness away." The guard says.

Madeleine thanks the guard and goes to her chambers. She couldn't believe it. The prince died as James fell ill. This was not good, Madeleine knew in her heart that James would not survive this battle.

"Momma, why is everyone so quiet? Lady Mary said the court was loud at night." Alex asks.

"You both know how momma cares for His majesty children, well His majesty's newest child has passed away. The prince has gone to heaven." Madeleine explains.

"Maybe papa will see the prince when he goes to heaven and they can be together and watch over us!" Allie says.

"Maybe. Time for bed my dears." Madeleine says, getting up to help the children.

Once the children were in bed, Madeleine stayed up laying in bed. She thought about how her world will be turned upside down once James dies. She would be a widow, alone in the world with her children.

In the morning, Madeleine had the children stay with her ladies, as she went to find Mary and Elizabeth. She found Mary in the chamber praying with Elizabeth beside her, mimicking her behavior.

"Mary. How are you doing?" Madeleine asks, breaking the silence.

"My brother is dead. What will his majesty do to us?" Mary cries.

Madeleine hugged both of the girls tightly. She sighed thinking about what Henry would do now. Would he quickly try to produce another heir with Jane or would he get rid of her completely.

"Why are you here?" Mary asks.

"James is dying and he does not want the children or me to see it." Madeleine whispers.

"Madeleine! I am so sorry." Mary exclaims.

"He has only days left." Madeleine says.

Mary hugged her former governess. This was a terrible week, first her brother and now her only father figure was going to die.

"If you need anything, please tell me." Mary says.

Madeleine smiled weakly at her and just hugged her tighter. This week was going to be terrible.

Madeleine went back to her chambers and found the twins sleeping in their beds and her ladies cleaning up the rooms. Madeleine smiled at them before sitting at her desk. There was a letter on the desk waiting for her.

"Ladies, when did this letter get here?" Madeleine asks.

"Not too long ago. One of his majesty's pages dropped it off." Lady Hall replies.

Madeleine rips open the letter and begins to read it. It was from his majesty.

"I will be back. Tell the twins we will go to the gardens when I get back." Madeleine states, getting up.

"Where are you going?" Lady Martin asks.

"To meet the king." Madeleine says.

Madeleine thought about the contents of the letter as she walked to the king's chambers. Could it be true? What would happen now?

"Would you please tell his majesty that the Duchess of Hereford would like an audience?" Madeleine asks the guard.

The guard left then returned, leaving the door open allowing Madeleine to go inside.

"Your majesty, I wish to extend my deepest condolences in regards to the death of his highness the prince. I know what it feels like to lose a child." Madeleine states.

"Thank you, your grace. I would never want to wish this pain on anyone. Why are you here at court? I know you prefer to be at Hatfield, instead of court." Henry replies.

"My husband is very ill. The doctors do not think he will last much longer. He does not wish for me or the children to watch him suffer." Madeleine explains.

"I am truly sorry, my lady. You are welcomed at court for however long you please." Henry says.

Madeleine smiles sadly at him. They both were grieving the loss of a loved one. Madeleine knew soon enough she would be a widow. Henry invited Madeleine to stay for dinner in his chambers. She accepted and sent a message to her ladies.