Chapter thirty three

Three months after the birth of their latest twins, Henry began to get sick. He knew his time was soon up.

"Will you please get her majesty?" Henry asks one of his pages.

"Yes, your majesty." He says.

The pages went quickly to Madeleine's chambers and told her that Henry had requested her presence.

"Yes dear, you asked for me?" Madeleine asks.

"We have some things we need to talk about." Henry states.

Madeleine looks at Henry confused. He motions for her to take a seat. Despite their occasional issues they had come to love each other. After the birth of James Henry truly began to love Madeleine. Madeleine fell for him shortly after that.

"Maddie, I am sick. I will not make it." Henry states.

"What! What are you talking about!" Madeleine exclaims.

"The physicians believe I only have a few more months. My leg injury has gotten worse and there is an infection that is running through my body." Henry explains.

"Henry! Why didn't you tell me? We could have found a special doctor to find a cure!" Madeleine yells.

"Maddie, it is my time. I am old. You will be a good regent for our son and a good mother to our children."

"I am not ready for you to leave." Madeleine whispers.

"I know, my love. But it is my time." Henry replies, kissing her head.

Henry pulls out blank sheets of parchment and then a few other documents.

"What are these?" Madeleine asks.

"We need to discuss marriages for all of our children. I want to have everything secured for when I go. You will be regent for James until he is 18. This is already in my will, no one will object." Henry explains.

"Do we have to discuss this?"

Henry nods, Madeleine sighs. She picks up the papers and sees that they are lists of potential marriages for all of her children including her stepchildren. Henry showed her his will, which stated she would be regent until James turned 18 and she was to be given every respect as if Henry was still alive. She was also given the power to determine when all his children got married.

After discussing all the marriages, Madeleine and Henry decided on who to send betrothal papers to. It was determined that:

Alexander Butler would marry Archduchess Eleanor of Austria.

Alexandra Butler would marry Count Giovanni de Bardi.

Rebecca Tudor would marry Duke Louis Gonzaga of Nevers.

James Tudor would marry Charlotte of Bourbon.

Elinor Tudor would be allowed to live as a Princess of Enlgand without pressure to marry.

Arthur Tudor would marry Margaret Fiennes, an English noblewoman.

Alice Tudor would marry Nicolas de Harlay, Seigneur de Sancy.

Charles would be allowed to choose if he wanted to get married.

Mary Tudor would marry Rui Gomez da Silva.

Elizabeth had already expressed her wish to be allowed to remain the Duchess of Pembroke and unmarried.

By the time of Henry's death in January of 1547, everything was sent in stone. The arrangements would play out as Madeleine saw fit.

ARTHOR'S NOTE: This is the last official chapter. The next one will basically be a list of what happens to each of eight children. Just marriage dates, names of children, and death dates.