Chapter twenty six

(August 1538)

A few months had passed since Madeleine started struggling with her feelings. After leaving Henry she went to Mary to talk to her about what was going on. She had to tell someone, someone she trusted besides her ladies.

"Mary, I have to tell you something." Madeleine said, quietly.

"What is it?" Mary asked.

Madeleine was quiet for a few moments before telling Mary everything. She spilled her guts about everything. Mary sat there quietly, taking everything in once Madeleine was done.

"Madeleine, you know you cannot act on these feelings. As much as I want you to be happy, my father is married. Jane is Queen. I don't want to see you casted aside as just a mistress. Hopefully these feelings will subside over time." Mary stated, squeezing Madeleine's hand.

Madeleine began to cry because she knew Mary was right. Henry was married to Jane, and they were happy. Jane was healthy and would soon give Henry another son. She wouldn't be happy as just his mistress and she would ruin her children's future by taking on that role.

Since that talk Madeleine distanced herself from Henry. She would only go to see him if he called for her. Most of the time it was just to pick her brain about some new law or policy he wanted to enact. She enjoyed the time they spent together but it also hurt because she could see how happy Henry was with Jane. Madeleine kept herself busy with teaching her children and Elizabeth and spending time with Mary. She had Mary help her with the children so for the day that Mary had children she could know what to expect. She left only a few hours to herself a day so she could keep her mind off of Henry.

"Your grace, his majesty wishes to see you." A page says, interrupting Madeleine's time.

"I will be there shortly." Madeleine replies.

"His majesty wants to see you now." The page states.

Madeleine got up and followed the page. She knew something was wrong if the page insisted she come right away.

"His majesty is not a good mood. He sent everyone away and only asked for you." The page whispers.

"What happened?"

" I do not know, your grace." He replies.

A million thoughts ran through Madeleine's head. What happened? What caused his mood to change so rapidly. She couldn't think of a reason why.

"I will wait outside for you, your grace." The page says, opening the door for her.

"Thank you."

Madeleine walks through Henry's chambers looking for him. She found him at his desk with a glass in front of him and a pitcher. She watched him for a moment. She could see sadness in his face and a hint of grief.

"Your majesty, what is wrong?" Madeleine whispers, going closer to him.

"Jane will not give me any more sons." Henry says, bitterly.

"What do you mean? Jane is young. Prince Edward's birth caused her body a lot of stress. It might take longer than a few months for her to get pregnant again." Madeleine says.

"The physician says she will not carry another child to term. She will be lucky if she can even get pregnant. He says that Edward's birth has left her barren." Henry spits.

"I am truly sorry, your majesty. How is the Queen taking the news?" Madeleine asks.

"She is devastated. She is taking refuge with her family." Henry replies.

"I know you do not want to hear this, but you have two healthy daughters to take over when you are not here anymore. I know you do not wish for either of your daughters to rule England, but that may be the case." Madeleine whispers.

"If one of my daughters rule, it means the end of the Tudor dynasty. When they get married their husbands will rule England and it will start a new dynasty. It will end everything my father started." Henry replies.

"Maybe Jane will get lucky, and you will have a son."

"I do not think I will be that lucky. Jane has already said she doesn't want to return to my bed since she has failed me. I have to speak to parliament about this news and see what they want me to do. They know the importance of continuing the Tudor dynasty."

"I am sorry, your majesty. I wish I could be of some more help." Madeleine says.

"If only I had married you before Anne. Maybe we would have had sons together." Henry murmurs.

"Henry..." Madeleine trails off.

"Would ever consider marrying a king? I know you enjoy your freedom as a single lady." Henry questions.

"I would." Madeleine states.

"You would marry a king? Would you ever consider marrying me?"

"Henry you are married and Jane is queen. I could not think of it." Madeleine replies.

"What if I was not married?"

"If you were not married, then yes Henry. I would marry you if you were not married."

Henry smiled. He would have liked to marry a woman like Madeleine. When she gave her opinion in political matters, she knew when to stop. She did not push like Anne did and she did not hide from it like Jane. She was in the middle of both, a perfect medium. He did not know what parliament would say. If parliament suggested Henry remarry he knew who he could suggest.

"Madeleine, I would like for you to sit in on the next parliament meeting. You will be hidden away but you may listen in." Henry says.

"Are you certain, Henry? It is not proper for a woman to listen in." Madeleine questions.

"Yes I am. I wish for you to hear the meeting."

Madeleine agreed to go to the meeting. She had some concerns about going because it was very improper for a woman to listen into a meeting like that. If it was a small meeting and she was a queen then it wouldn't be as bad. She was just a close companion of Henrys, not his wife.

Henry watched Madeleine sit there and take in his request. He knew it was unusual and very uncommon but he wanted Madeleine there to hear what parliament wanted to do. He was never going to have a son with Jane and he and his parliament did not want his daughters to rule. They would have to grant him divorce. It would be the only way to ensure England safety.