Chapter 5

Chapter 5

May 18, 1848; the next day

Isaac

It was mid-day the sun was high and I have did everything I needed to do work-wise, so I was just walking around my house as I always do when I’m bored. I stop in front of my kitchen’s entrance and look into the empty room.

 My mind went back to yesterday going over all of the events that happened when I came back home. Why was Lena outside in the fields? It was completely foolish for her to walk out there during the work hours when all my watchers were on duty. They think all Negros on the field are pickers and would do anything to make them work harder, preferably they hurt them.

I believe Lena learned that the hard way and I’m glad that James whipped her when he did; she was stupid enough to go out there when she must have known she was a house slave.

‘Maybe I should make her work out there for a couple of days as a warning?’ 

I rub my chin in thought while turning into the kitchen. I take a seat at the table and look up frowning. 

‘No, Sarah is still teaching her the chores…I’ll just have to let go this time’ after deciding this, my eyes stretched in realization of what I had said to Sarah and Lena yesterday.

‘I said I was gonna teach Lena English!’ My mind yells.

“Aw—damn! Why did I say that? How in the hell am I gonna –”

I stop my quiet rant when I hear footsteps stop by the kitchen’s entrance. I look down to see Lena standing there staring at me with a small frown.

‘What disrespect’ I thought becoming angry in how she was appearing to me. My expression turns into a glare.

“Do you not know how to approach your master?” I spat, clearly showing my emotion.

Her frown changes into a confuse one with raised eyebrows and she tilts her head. 

Ka bio” She says quickly, her tone sounds demanding like a command.

I stand up and slowly walk over to her. My glare never left her eyes and her eyes did not falter as well. We stare at each other as I try to calm myself from hitting her.

“I will tell you one last time…” I take another breathe to fully relax.

I go on, “I do not speak that mumbling shit that comes from your mouth. You need to speak English if you want anyone around here to understand ya…”

As silence takes over the room I blink feeling myself become calmer.My glare has now softened and I was actually hoping she understood what I said.Her frown was now gone and even though she was looking at me, I could tell she was in a daze probably trying to figure out what I just said.