Chapter 7

Chapter 7

June 28, 1848

Isaac

“Na, what I need you to do when coming here is to mostly feed the horses” I quickly say to Lena while leading the way into my barn. I walk pass many of my horses rubbing some and gilding my hand over the wooden fence.

“So that means you need to move hay from the stacks over there,” I point over to my right at the high rectangle-shape stacked hay by the wall.

“To their stables then I will want you to groom them, clean the saddles, and take each out for them to graze.” 

I stop at the last stable which held Champ. I began to rub his nose when he came close enough for me to touch. I smile when Champ gave a strong huff in satisfaction and brought his head closer to my hand. I turn to Lena with a small smile and say, “But you leave Champ to me. He’s my responsibility dat you won’t havta worry ‘bout.”

I stare down at Lena to see if she even understood half of what I just told her. All she was doing what just staring wide-eyed at my face. I quickly lose my smile and raise one of my eyebrows. 

“You understand?” I ask. She nods her head quickly looks down forming a slight frown.I glance over to Champ and open the fence to his stable.

“Den follow me and let me teach you how to groom them” I said.

She pauses and watches me walk into Champ’s stable and stares at Champ with seeming fear. I make a gesture for her to walk in, yet she takes her time doing it.

I stare at her face for a moment noticing the small scar that was on side of her cheek.I remember how she got it only a couple weeks back from Bill slapping her for dropping my coffee bean bags. I knew they were gonna punish her for making such a loud noise yet I thought them kicking her wounded back was a bit too much, even if I was the only one who knew.

I felt somewhat sorry, yet I was annoyed that she couldn’t take heed. I told her plain as day that they would be bold enough to hurt her, she should count herself lucky that they only did as much damage as they did. I blink while shaking my head from my daze. I look at Champ then over to Lena to see her standing far in the back of the stable, staring at Champ with caution.  

“Lena, now how are you gonna see how to groom my horses if you all the way ova there?” I ask, trying not to smirk.

I thought it was amusing how she would cower away from ole Champ. I made a gesture for her to walk over but she only took two small steps. I shook my head and did the same wave; again she took another two small steps, still staring at Champ. The humor I found from this ended quickly for me as my patience was thinning.

“Lena!” I yell sternly.She jumps and looks to me even more frighten.

I point to a spot near me and say, “Stand here…right now”. 

She stands there froze trying to follow where my hand was pointing.  My patience was gone, “You damn near deaf ain’t cha n-gger! Didn’t I tell you—” I half yell, stomping over to where Lena was. I raise my hand to hit her and she runs straight into my chest with her hands covering her face. I frown, backing up quickly and smack her hard on the shoulder. She jerks from my heavy contact and stumbles to keep her balance.

“*Wo Ɔno… bɔne— adaemoni !  Wo Ɔno!— ”  I cut her off walking up to her and roughly grabbing her shoulders.

“Lena…Lena, look at me…” She kept up her sputtering looking everywhere but me.