Chapter 8

Chapter 8

June 28, 1848

Adaeze

I quickly walk to Sarah’s and I room with questions rambling inside my mind.

‘Who was Jant, and why do I have to ‘breed’ with him?’ I question myself while I walk into our room.

I look up to see her sitting on her bed with her legs cross softly whispering to herself. I frown in curiosity and quietly walk over to my bed for a seat. I could tell that Sarah was so into her daze to not take notice of me so I lean back on the wall and went over my day.

Today seemed like every other one; I woke up and cleaned all the rooms I usually clean and then when I thought I was done the demon comes and orders me to follow him out back where the large field with my people were. I thought for a moment that he was going to send me out there to work with the ‘field workers’ as Sarah calls them. I recently learned that field workers and house slaves were picked by how light our tone of skin was from the pale people. I thought it was strange that they would separate us by our dark shades.

Personally, I thought that Sarah and I were very dark compared to many of the field workers that I secretively stared at while following the demon. If some did not have to *to awia I am sure that their complexion could be compared close to the demon’s.

When we got closer to a large wooden hut that looked familiar to me, he began to tell me about cleaning the animals that were being kept in here and something about moving large stacks of what looked like dry grass.I inwardly sigh to myself pondering why the hut look so familiar to me. I tuned out the rest of what he was saying and was looking around until he turned around to face me.

My eyes snap to his and they widened from his soft smile that he showed. I froze as I felt a slight squeeze in my belly, and not a second after he losted his smile and raises one of his brows.

You understand?” He asks, I panic not hearing anything he said but I nodded anyway to avoid consequences.

He then opens the *abow and walks inside with that large beast. He said something to me that I guess was a command for me to follow him, but I could only stare at the large creature as I remembered painful flashbacks of the animal dragging me to this very place. After a few seconds I quickly snapped out of it, knowing the demon’s patience and hastily scooted pass the beast and to the far right corner of the pin. I then looked from the beast to the demon wondering why he was staring into space and what he was going to show me.

He then shook his head and look towards me. He asked me why I standing so far away, or at least, that’s what I assumed from his hand gesture. I took two small steps staring at the large animal with caution. I could see that the demon shook his head made the same beckoning gesture again, so I took another two steps. He then yelled at me which made me jumped from the demon’s sudden loudness.

I looked over to him and froze knowing that he wanted me to stand right next to him…so close to that beas—“You damn near death ain’t cha n-gger! Didn’t I tell you—” I saw him raising his hand to hit me and I instinctively ran into his chest so that he would have trouble hitting me.