Chapter 9

Chapter 9

November 14, 1848

Isaac

I woke up to hearing the wind blowing fiercely against my windows as the rain was pounding heavily on the roof. I sit up with a growing frown from the pain that was spreading through-out my head.

I sit there for a few minutes staring into space, trying to gather up any thoughts. I shift in the sheets a little to hear loud clinks of glass hitting each other. I look down to see many empty liquor bottles- occupying the other side of my bed.

'Well, I wanted to forget....' I thought with an indifferent expression.

Loud knocks then echoed from my bedroom door making me put my hands to my ears to lessen the pain.

"WHAT!" I yell and then flinch from my own voice.

"Master?" I hear a soft accented voice say.

I open my eyes and watch as she opens the door and puts only her head into the room. Her many braids dangles over her shoulder as she asked a question that I didn't catch. My eyes were only following the moving braids.

"What?" I breathed out, staring at her small plaits.

"May I come in, master?"  She asks again.

I look up to her face and then focus on her eyes only for hers to widen at the eye-contact. I then look back down to her mouth to see it slightly open, 'What is she gaping for?' 'I don't look that bad, do I?'

I frown at her while I slowly got out of bed.

"Did I say you could come in?" I spat out.

She closes her mouth quickly and shakes her head soon closing the door. I walk over to the door and open it swiftly seeing her standing there in her usual pose. I step to the side and watch her walk in. I go to my usual spot and wait for her to get my clothes and undress me. I look up to the ceiling and exhale a large breath, trying to ease the headache.

Once I heard light footsteps I look down to see Lena putting the clean clothes on the back of the chair and walks over to me as I take off my over shirt quickly and then handing it to her. She blinks from how fast I did it and glances over me before taking the shirt and folding it.

I was about to take off my undershirt until I hear Lena say, "Master, it my job ta hell-p ya dress—yeh?"

I stop lifting my shirt and look up to her.

'Wait...she's right...why am I helping her?'

I put my arms to my sides and watch as she hastily folds my over shirt. When she walks back over to me I frown staring at her, purposely focusing on her face to stop unwanted thoughts from creeping in. As she lifts my undershirt from over my head we both made eye contact and she instantly averts her eyes. I blink watching her braids swing around her as she turns her back to me folding the shirt.

I tilt my head noticing how much Lena has adapted to living here. During these past few months the English lessons have become much easier to teach. I knew that she was able to catch onto things pretty quick but it still amazes me how she has progressed. Our lessons have changed from me teaching her basic knowledge and words to us having small conversations and her writing has improved as well.  She could write small paragraphs about simple things, like how she is feeling today or a short story about an animal.  

"What's the weather like today?" I ask pulling my arms through the undershirt Lena gave me.

I watch and listen for her answer as her face scrunched into her usual musing face.