Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Night/Early Morning, December 30, 1848

Isaac

She didn't notice me watching as I peek my head out of the parlor, the rest of my body hiding behind the wall. She sneaked into the kitchen looking around as she did it. I narrowed my eyes.

 'Was she trying to steal food from the kitchen?' I thought with a glare appearing on my face.

 Once she disappeared into the room I walked out into the hallway and quietly walk towards the kitchen, when I was halfway there I heard the soft creak of my backdoor and then the screech of the screen-door. My eyes widened realizing what she was really doing. 

'Is she trying to escape?'

 I quickly walk to the kitchen's door-way to see that Lena was already outside. I walk over to the window that was over the counter and peek through the curtains to see her walking down the dirt trail to the field slaves' houses. I frown tilting my head. 

'What da hell she goin' there for?' I step back from the window, debating whether or not I should go after her and punish her now or do it in the morning. I roll my eyes to the ceiling feeling annoyed by the situation. 

"Aw—what da hell, she ain't leavin' and I'm too tired to deal wit dis." I concluded running my hand through my hair and sighing in stress. I turn around stomping my way to my room.

Early Morning, December 30, 1848

Adaeze

"Well, I thank ya fa comin' here and tellin' me what's goin' on. I'll havta tell the others about dat in the next meetin'" Jant says as he walks me back to the house. I nod in agreement glancing in his direction. 

"Yuh do so, I am happy to help." Jant nods and we stop before the small stairs.

 "Al'ight, I'll see ya den" He whispers.

 I nod with a small smile and quickly walk up the stairs and into the house. I quietly look around the kitchen and creep to the threshold to stop and look around once more. Confirming no one's presence, I creep my way to the slaves' quarters. I walk into the room to see Sarah sitting up in her bed looking down with a blank expression.

 Once I reached my bed she took notice of me by saying, "*maakye". I look to her as I settle on my bed. I greet back to her and give a small smile. 

"What are you thinking of this morning?" I ask. 

She looks over to me and sighs in what I guess boredom. "Nothing that is important; I was just going over what we had to do today. We have to start working in a few minutes."

 I nod my head as I feel the silence around us. My mind started to drift over what has happened this pass month. Everything went back as usual after that strange rainy day with the demon. I was still curious and disturbed as to why that demon behaved in such a way. I tried to ask Sarah many times after, however she would always brush me off in different ways. 

'*komm, komm, Adaeze...you want him to hear us?' 

'Lena, would you help me carry this?' 

 After my tenth time of asking, she would just ignore me until one day when we were in the kitchen cooking dinner for a gathering the demon was throwing. A 'Christmas formal' I believe is what he called it. I assume it was a celebration for their version of Onyame or at least that was what I assume from Sarah's explaining. So in the kitchen Sarah and I were cooking a feast for many of the demon's friends who gather through-out the house and I could hear his booming voice laugh, chuckle and joke with the others. I remember frowning from the vast change that he showing. It made me concern for his health which I shook from my head. Why should I feel concern for him? He is most likely suffering a curse from his evil doing... I tried to let that be my ending thought to the matter, however more questions came to mind. What if it was not a curse? What if it was illness? Yet, illness only comes if punishment is needed? I shook my head again trying to dismiss my thoughts.