Chapert 2 Part 2

Part 2

I find my father speaking with some other men that lives in our village. I knew not to interrupt so I stood in his line of sight to silently call him over. He notices me staring and waves the male villagers off, him walking over wearing his usual large grin.

“Adaeze my-” I cut father off bitterly saying “I am marrying Obasi father.” 

He stops his greeting and his cheery grin changes into a face of guilt. 

“Ad-um…Adaeze-” Dad sighs trying to find way to word his explanation.

He looks around and puts a hand on my shoulder turning me around.

“*Bra, we can talk about this at a calmer place.”

I follow father to the out skirts of the village and sit beside him after he took a seat on the ground.I look to father waiting for him to speak. He stares out into the forest with the interest and then turns his head to me.

“It was not our idea at first…” He starts.

“You see Morowa and I did not mind you not looking for marriage. We knew my *nkra would give you this free-loving spirit.”

I pull my legs up to my chest and rest my face between my knees.

“Then why did you and mother agree to let Obasi marry me?” I ask turning my head to side and stare at father with disappointment.  

“He came to us asking if any man was after you, we said no and were going to warn him that you would not accept him. He kept trying to convince us that he wanted your hand. I kept saying it would not work yet somehow he pull in your mother. She said that you two will marry and left it as that.”

Father looks down and shakes his head. “Do not feel anger towards your mother. She only wants what’s best for you, Adaeze. She wanted you to experience the happiness you receive from marriage.” 

I scoff at father’s reasons and look forward. 

“Adaeze…” I hear my father scoot closer to me and he puts his arm over my shoulders. 

“What father?” I ask not turning my head.

“Would you think on the good side of this?” I grimace and scoot away from my father.

“What is the good side?”

Dad smiles and squeezes my shoulder.

“Obasi is the good side. He is the best of all the bachelors in the village. Every day I hear the women praising his looks…your mother included” Dad says chuckling.

“If I had to give my child away to any man…he would be the one.”

I turn my head to father with anger.

“You would give me away to him because he is the best?”

He gives the same small smile mother gave me and put his hand on my head.

“No, I would give you away because I know he loves you.”

I froze thinking back to the when Obasi was staring into my eyes earlier. I look into father’s eyes and gave my own small smile. If father could see this strong emotion from Obasi then I suppose I could take the time to see it too.

We both hug each other as I whisper a “Thank you”. Then I stand up and offer a hand to father, but he waves it away looking into the forest.

“Go back and make up with Morowa.”