Chapter 7 - 7 Years - Mare

Katara
7 years, that's how long it's been since the league saved me. We had the option to know how they saved us if we couldn't remember, I wanted to know. Turns out I was found on a beach, my lungs filled with water. They said it was close to where I said I fell in the water. I guess my 'family' didn't try that hard to look for me.

I'm 21 years of age, I am no longer Katara of The Southern Water Tribe. I am Mare Partner of Solis and 7th Degree Master. My old life is no more, the only remnants are vague memories from the war. My old values about taking a life or showing kindness to all has changed. I'm different but I like how I've changed. I don't hesitate and I do what needs to be done.

The people we take out on our missions have done the unspeakable. Sure so has the league, but we just don't get caught. We do what we do in the league to keep balance in the world. Instead we eliminate the problem entirely unlike the avatar.

Solis and I have been on so many mission I forgot how many. This one time Azula had to be an innocent and useless girl to let a man play savior. It was awesome to watch and we completed the mission in about 2 months. This other time I had to stroke the ego of some fire nation diplomat, he really thought he was all that.

What I used to feel so strongly about has almost turned completely around. Azula, I never thought she would be a friend, let alone something else. But in the last 7 years Azula has become everything to me.

My fighting skills have gotten so much better since I've been in the league. Blood bending comes as easy as water bending at this point. I've also trained in combat with every weapon I come across, but I have mastered using knives. I put Mai to shame.

I have also grown my mind in more ways than one. I know more languages than I can count on my hands, I've learned to lie to an earth bender successfully, and I have interrogation skills like never before.

Azula has changed as well from her time in the league, but it's a good thing. She treats me like and equal now and we have each other's back. She is still dedicated and a little controlling. But she has come such a long way.

The league fascinates me every time I learn something new. We communicate using different languages and they have technology much more advanced than the outside world. They have these bracelets that go around our wrists that we talk to each other with.

For transportation there are tunnels that run underneath the entire world connected from everywhere. Not even the strongest earth bend can find them. The league also have these machines that are like carts but they move forward without an animal pulling. It's amazing how advanced the league is.

We got to teach the new recruits for about a year. I found it quite enjoyable, I tried to be gentle but still strict if they cross the line. Azula was strict with them but would help them when they needed it. It was nice to see them grow and know that they'll make it in the league.

In the leagues eyes I'm cold and have little to no heart. I still show the occasional kindness when it's needed, there's no changing that. We can't show mercy or weakness of any kind. We keep our backs straight with our hands behind our backs when we walk. There are many rules but learn the basics and it's fine.

Azula and I have a new mission in a couple days. We know nothing of it yet, except of course that we're going to be taking someone out. We will be briefed on the mission soon and I wonder what it'll be this time. Sometimes we go to really pretty places, those are nice. I don't really care who we take out, I enjoy the places we visit the most. We'll see who has ticked the league off this time.