Chapter 15: Darkwood Academy

"We actually get to live here!"

    Soraya gazed up at the school in awe, noticing that the twelve Zodia, along with the four Elemental Magic symbols, decorated the stained-glass windows.

    "That, up there, is one of the many dormitories we have," Ms. Faye pointed at the tall spire with a large statue of a dragon sitting atop one of its many balconies. "You'll be tested in the morning to determine which house you'll be a part of and what uniform you'll be wearing."

     "Wait... tested?" Soraya asked. "What does that mean, exactly?"

    "Every new student is given a series of rigorous evaluations in order to determine how they best learn," the groundskeeper explained while opening one of the large, oaken doors.

The foyer was huge and grand, with portraits of what Soraya assumed were faculty staff members and other people in prestigious positions at the school. The polished, wooden floor was a mix of navy blues and purples and stretched out into the tall, long hallway before her. Giant, curving staircases leading to balconies were on both sides of the room. Beyond the stairways were long corridors leading to various classrooms.

"There are three houses here; Red, Blue and Green," Ms. Faye said while ascending the staircase, her voice bouncing off of the cold stone walls. "Red is for audible learners, Blue is for visual, and Green for kinesthetic."

    The groundskeeper gestured towards three giant banners overhanging the middle hallway, each coinciding with the different houses. The red tapestry had a bat stitched into it, its giant wings spread out on either side, and its claws outstretched before it, as if it were about to latch onto something. The blue banner had a large tiger embroidered in it's center. Elegant and sleek, its face centered right in the middle and staring straight at them. To the right hung the green banner depicting a wolf howling towards the heavens.

    "That sounds very organized," Soraya managed to say in between breaths while scampering after the tall woman leading the way before her. Ms. Faye took great leaps in skipping over steps, while Soraya struggled to keep up despite being quick on her feet.

    I'll probably be placed into the Blue House because of my photographic memory.

    "For now, you and your pet will be put up in one of the dorms for tonight and be given dinner."

    They wandered down another grand hallway towards one of the spires. Lanterns built into the walls lit the way as they passed by many elegant paintings and closed oaken classroom doors leading to what Soraya assumed were more classrooms.

    "I suggest you go to bed early. You will be awoken around eight in the morning tomorrow, and I promise that it will be a long day full of tests and tours."

When they reached the end of the hall, they were greeted by a large blue door that read, Blue Female Dormitory in silver script.

"Your father told us you're a visual learner, so you'll stay here for tonight, though after your evaluations are graded tomorrow you may change houses, so be prepared for that," Ms. Faye prattled on while placing her slim hand on the silver doorknob and turning it. "Your fellow students will show you to your dorm from here."