Chapter 32: Good Shepherds' Church

"May the Gods El, Naveah, Emmanuel, and Kyrios be with you all

"May the Gods El, Naveah, Emmanuel, and Kyrios be with you all."

"And also with you," Soraya spoke in unison with her three friends and the congregation.

"Depart in peace, your sins are forgiven," Pastor Vern said, folding his hands together and bowing towards the Etherians who had gathered together for the service that morning.

As the Priest walked down the aisle in long strides, his navy blue robes flowing in the air with each confident step he took, the organ and choir in the balconies above burst into a beautiful melody. The congregation below belted into song.

"Blessings flow from Gods above, mercies show their everlasting love..."

It's the hymn Rhys sang when we healed the plants, Soraya gently nudged her boyfriend's hand with her own, and they intertwined their fingers. His voice is gorgeous.

The girl sang quietly, so she could better hear him. The lyrics flowed from his mouth like golden honey poured from a jar.

Ujuu and Moiya sat in the same pew as them, the younger twin singing sweetly like birds welcoming the rising sun, while Moiya's voice was pure and flute-like. Their harmonies, in addition with their history teacher's singing from the balcony, filled the musty air with life and beauty.

Everyone I know is so talented, Soraya smiled to herself.

When the last note of the hymn was finished, the air was filled with tiny snaps of books closing and the rustling of churchgoers gathering their belongings before forming a single file line down the aisle. It was customary to either shake the hand of the priest or bow to show appreciation after the service.

As the four friends inched their way closer to Pastor Vern, Soraya spotted a table within the Narthex. An elderly woman was in the process of laying out several religious relics in the form of jewelry and house decor.

I'll buy a ring, the girl thought as she noted a few thin, silver bands with the symbol of the Gods carved into them. A necklace could snap off more easily.

"Pastor Vern, are those relics blessed?" Soraya asked the priest.

"Why yes, they are," he beamed, his right blue and left golden eyes warm and inviting like a grove of lemon trees under a sunny sky.

"Could you maybe double bless the ring I want to buy? I know that sounds odd, but it would make me feel better if you did."

"Double bless?" the older man chuckled, the corners of his face crinkling in amusement. "I will do that for you after I finish greeting everyone here."

"Perfect!" the girl beamed. "Thank you!"

The man nodded politely in response before turning his attention towards her friends who were trailing close behind her. "Gods' Peace," he said to each of them after shaking their hands. Rhys, Ujuu and Moiya each responded in the same manner.