Chapter 20.

We arrived in New York around 4pm, New York time. Rivers dad and brother left to pick up their car, leaving Rivers and I to wait in the terminal. I didn't mind being left alone with Rivers. In fact, I preferred it. Rivers' dad gave me this vibe that if I say the wrong thing he will chop my fingers off. And his brother looked at me like I was his next meal.

Rivers looked nothing like his family. I pointed this out to him while we were on the plane and he told me he got his looks from his mother. Where Rivers has long light brown hair, his brother and father fashioned dark black hair. They slicked it back with a lot of gel, looking like drug lords in the 1960's.

"So," Rivers says. "What do you think of New York?"

I breathe in the air, "It smells better than Arizona." I reply. Rivers laughs. "I mean I haven't seen anything outside of this airport so can I really judge it yet?"

"I suppose you're right. Just wait till we get to my house." He smirks.

A few minutes later, Rivers dad and brother pull up in a black SUV. His brother, Arden rolls down the passenger seat window, "Get in losers." He shouts over the noise of the airport.

He didn't have to tell me twice. I was itching to find out more about Rivers, starting with where he grew up. We throw our luggage in the trunk and get in. As we leave the airport I am overwhelmed at the sights. Living in the small town Mesa, Arizona I was used to the country. I haven't travelled much in my life, so my knowledge of other states was very limited. But I had no idea how limited it was.

When someone says New York, I think of the city. With the tall buildings, people everywhere, and crowded streets. Ithaca, New York was nothing like what I expected. There was green everywhere. Something I sure wasn't used to back in Arizona. Huge, green, rolling hills as far as the eyes could see. Trees larger than anything I have ever seen, colorful flowers lining the roads... even the air here was better.

I look at Rivers to find him already watching me. "It's so... green here." I say.

In the front, Arden laughs. "Much better than Arizona." He remarks.

Rivers smiles, "Elijah, welcome to Ithaca!"

It took about an hour to get to Rivers' house in the countryside of Ithaca. Once we arrive, my jaw drops. Most of the time, when I call a house huge, that doesn't account for much, considering I live in a two bedroom apartment. But when I say Rivers' house is huge, I mean ginormous. The house sat in the middle of nowhere on top of a giant green hill. A huge tree was in the front yard, with bushes and flowers surrounding it. A large garden was in the back, and the entire house was surrounded in a white picket fence.

As we get closer, I can read the name on the mailbox. "Thomas" It says.

"Welcome to the Thomas Manor of New York!" Arden says from the front seat.

Flowers line a stone path that leads from the driveway to the front door. Vines trail the walls of the brick house with small purple flowers growing among them. I turn to Rivers to say how amazing it is, but when I look at him he has an expression of sadness on his face.

I had known Rivers' family was rich. It shows in the way he walks, the way he dresses, and even in the way that he talks. But I had no idea the extent of their richness. This house was without a doubt, the most beautiful home I had ever seen.

Rivers' dad pulls in the driveway and parks the car. "We're here." He states in the most monotone voice I've ever heard. Something was telling me that this house held a lot of memories for this family. Not all of them were too good.

We get out of the car and grab our bags, and Rivers' dad leads the way inside. Arden follows next, then Rivers, then me. Now, I was sitting in that car thinking that the outside was gorgeous. But the inside! The walls were lined with beautiful art, expensive looking chandeliers hung from the ceiling in every room. The table was lined with candles and expensive looking silverware. Hell, everything about this house looked expensive.

Rivers guides me through the mansion, giving me a tour of the entire house. The second floor is where the bedrooms are, and he saves the guest room for last.

"And this," He says, coming to a conclusion of the tour, "Is where you will be staying." He opens the door and I walk in completely mesmerized by the room. Art hung on the walls, flowers grew in the windowsill, sculptures sat on desks, and the bed was twice the size of my regular twin sized one I had back home.

I turn to Rivers, "Wow." I say.

Rivers laughs, "It's a bit extreme."

"A bit?" I question, glancing at the portrait of naked men and women standing around a horse.

"Well, now you've seen it." He says, "The Thomas Manor. What do you think?"

"What do I think?" I repeat. "It's absolutely amazing." That is all I could say to describe the place. Because simply put, it was absolutely amazing.

Rivers smiles, "You had no idea you were dating a rich snob, did you?"

I was a bit taken back by his comment. "I had no idea I was dating anyone." I reply.

Rivers laughs, "Do you really want me to get on my knees and ask you to be my boyfriend, Elijah?"

"I'd like to see you on your knees," I smirk.

Rivers shakes his head, and gets to the floor. "Elijah Jude, will you be my boyfriend?" He says in a mock begging tone.

I place my hand to my face, "I'll have to think about it," I say.

Rivers sighs, "And to think, I brought you all the way to New fucking York."

I laugh at that, "Of course I'll be your boyfriend." I say.

Rivers stands up, "Right answer, lad. I was getting tired down there." He gives me his breathtaking smile and wraps me in his arms. He pulls away and looks me in my eyes. "I'm so glad you could come with me."

His gaze falls to my lips and I smile. "Me too."

Rivers leans in and kisses me. Soft and slow, sweet and loving.

I swear to god this boy is everything I could ever want.