Chapter 8.

The rest of the day I tried to avoid Delilah. I didn't want to try and explain why I shouted "NO" in the middle of Ms. Hale's instructions. But then again, I didn't have any other friends to sit with or talk to, so when lunch rolled around I shamefully walked to our table.

No one looked at me funny, no one called me a freak, no one did any of the usual things that happens when people learn that I'm insane. I sat down beside Bodhi who as always was stuck in a book.

Delilah glances at me and smiles, "Hey you didn't wait for me after anatomy," She says. As if a flood gate had been open, relief pours through me. She doesn't think I'm crazy.

"Yeah, sorry about that..." I start, but before I could finish, Honeymaren interrupts me.

"O-MI-GOD." She hisses.

"What?" Noa asks.

"Hot newbie, 12 o'clock."

All of our heads turn towards the newbie, including Bodhi's. "Watch how he walks," Delilah says, "He's so elegant."

"And perfect," Noa chimes.

"Like Harry Styles," Honeymaren coos.

I find myself staring again. I don't know why. But his jawline was just as captivating as his eyes. He was perfect. He was like Harry Styles. Every bit of him was perfectly crafted, as if god himself laid a blessing of perfection on him when he was born. His eyes scan the courtyard and all five of us look away. I sneak another glance at him and make eye contact. Again. Shit.

I rip away my gaze and clear my throat, "What's so special about him?" I croak, knowing full well what was so special about him.

"Just look at him," Delilah says. "Don't you wish you had his light brown hair? Like how has he not been written up for it being too long?"

"He's so... bad," Honeymaren sighs.

Bodhi glances up from his book, "His name is Rivers Thomas, middle name, Kai. Just moved here from New York, and he is rich. Filthy. Two older brothers, both moved out. And a dog named Yoyo, it's a labradoodle."

The girls and I stare at him. "How could you possibly know all that?"

He holds up his cell phone, "Instagram," he says. I will never underestimate Bodhi's stalking abilities.

Delilah smirks, "Let's go talk to him,"

"What?" Honeymaren exclaims, "We can't talk to him. Look at him and look at us. Do you see what's wrong with that picture?"

"Who cares, he's new." Delilah gets up from the table. "Come on, Elijah." She grabs my shoulder, forcing me to stand up.

I followed Delilah to the table Rivers found a seat at. My hands immediately begin to sweat. He looks up from his phone, "Hey!" Delilah says, "My name is Delilah, I'm in your 1A class, English 101. You might remember my friend Elijah. He's the one who screamed 'No' when she said we had to write a story about our greatest examples."

Rivers smirks, "Yeah, I do remember you." He says. I swear my cheeks flushed five times redder than they were before. That was not how I wanted him to remember me.

"Heh, I was really hoping for a fantasy genre." I lie.

To my surprise, Rivers and Delilah laugh. "Anyway, we were wondering if you want to come sit with us and our friends?" Delilah points to our table. Honeymaren waves.

Rivers glances over and smiles. He waves at Honeymaren, "Thanks, but no thanks."

Delilah and I are taken completely by surprise. "Oh- uhh- okay then. Have a good lunch!" We leave him at his table. Alone. How he likes it.

The rest of lunch, heck, the rest of the day, all I could think about was Rivers. He was just so... well for lack of a better term, mysterious. His eyes-my god his eyes! I could stare into them for days on end, never getting tired of the changing green and blue hues that they contained. He was unforgettable. I simply could not get him out of my mind.

"Just admit it, you're a homo." Reid said.

"Don't call me a homo," I tell him. I'm sitting in my room, mom is at a job interview so I have the house to myself. Which is normally a good thing, but tonight all I can focus on is Rivers. I have never cared enough to question my sexuality. Never seen someone that caught my eye. Not the way Rivers does. And I can't explain why it is bothering me so much.

"Homo," Reid says again. Sometimes I wished I could punch him.

Maybe what Reid was saying rang true.

"All you have thought about today has been that boy," Danny says.

"His name is Rivers." I say.

"Who's Rivers?" I didn't hear the front door open, but my mom walks into my room, smiling and bright. It was still strange to see her looking this happy. You broke her but she is finally finding herself again.

"No one, mom." I reply.

She looks around the room, "Honey, doesn't Adriana tell you to ignore the Voices?"

I dodge her question, "How was the interview?"

Her smile brightens, "Really good! I got the job!" She says.

I smile too.

Mom is doing really good. No thanks to you. I try so hard to hate you for what you did to her. But for some reason, I still care about you. I think about you. I want to know where you are, and why you don't care about me or mom. We're your family dad. Where are you?