Chapter 2.

It didn't take long for my mom to realize that something was wrong with me. When she heard me talking to no one, at first she thought that I had made imaginary friends. It wasn't unusual for nine year olds to have imaginary friends, after all.

The earlier signs were the headaches. They came and went, but when they came, boy were they bad. The lack of sleep. I would stay up hours into the night and sometimes early morning, talking to the voices. Then when I would adopt the voices personalities. For example, my sparkling clean room some days, thanks to Danny. And my pig stye of a room other days, thanks to Reid. I would get frustrated easily. When all three of them would talk to me at the same time I would begin screaming at them to shut up.

I was ten when I was diagnosed with DID. Dissociative Identity Disorder.

I was in 5th grade, we were reading my favorite book in class, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Unfortunately, Denny hated that book. He was bashing it, telling me that it was a disrespect to the greek gods (he was very superstitious).

"Shut up," I whispered.

"Did you say something, Elijah?" My teacher stopped reading and asked in front of the class.

"I wasn't talking to you," I told her.

She raised her eyebrow, "Who were you talking to?"

At the time I was sitting alone in the back of the classroom, away from all students. I was a distraction to their learning or whatever. "My friend Danny. He doesn't like this book."

A few kids snickered. My teacher placed the book down and said, "Is Danny real?"

"Yes,"

"Where is he?"

Reid's voice appeared in my mind, "She thinks you're lying."

"You think I'm lying," I say to her.

"No, I believe you."

"She doesn't believe you," Reid said.

"You're lying." I said.

Saraphina started talking to me now, "Hey, it's okay. Deep breaths, deep breaths." She told me.

The thing was you always hated it when I lied. So I always tell the truth. And when other people lied? I guess your hatred rubbed off on me.

Danny says, "This is bad, this is bad, everyone's staring. What do we do?"

I realized as Danny had said, everyone was staring at me. I stood up from my seat, and it became known unto me that Reid had taken control of my body parts. Reid, being a sixteen-year-old in a ten-year-old's body, was clumsy whenever he walked. He was also very paranoid and had very bad anxiety.

"Elijah, please sit down." My teacher said, standing up and walking towards the door.

"RUN!" Danny says, and Reid takes off towards the door. My teacher beats me there and grabs me by the arm.

"She's hurting you!" Reid screamed.

"You're hurting me!" I screamed. I kicked and hit and screamed until two other teachers entered the class and got me off of my teacher.

My mom was called and I was expelled. The next day she took me to a psychiatrist named Ami Luzhoxsie, who, after talking to me for a couple of hours, told her of my condition.

"There is no cure," The psychiatrist told my mother softly. "But if he commits to therapy, we may be able to work through what caused it and teach him how to stay in charge so that what happened at school will not happen again."

And thus began my extensive therapy and years of having to switch schools due to little episodes. This year is my senior year. And I can't mess it up because I need my degree if I'm going to become a veterinarian. Animals were one of the few things that all my personalities and I had a mutual admiration for.

You won't be there for my graduation. Sometimes I find myself wishing you changed in prison, and would want to come back in my life. But some dreams have to stay that way. As dreams.