Chapter 10.

The next day, Rivers comes up to my table at lunch.

All of us regard him as if a celebrity had walked to our loser lunch table.

He ignores the whole group and looks straight at me. "Show me where the library is?" He asks.

I was speechless, but was somehow able to mumble, "Sure," And get out of my seat.

"Look- I'm sorry about yesterday just-" I started to apologize.

Rivers interrupts me, "No one has ever talked to me like that before. At first I was absolutely pissed, like I could have punched you, pissed." He shifts his gaze over to me as if to watch my reaction. I remain emotionless. "But then I realized you were right. I was being an ass. I tend to do that a lot. I'm the one who should be apologizing." He takes a deep breath, as if apologizing was hard for him to do. "Let's start over, my name is Rivers Thomas, I'm from New York. What's your name?"

I couldn't conceal my smile anymore. "Elijah Jude. From Arizona." I hold out my hand for him to shake.

He looks at my hand for a moment before shaking it. "Nice to meet you. Now about the library..."

"Oh, right." I lead him into the school and towards the library.

He doesn't talk much, which was fine by me. I followed him through the rows of books and listened to him while he explained the plot of a few. He stopped at another book and pulled it off the shelf, his eyes lighting up. "This!" he exclaimed. He held the book to his chest and let his head fall back as he hugged it.

I couldn't help but to smile. "What book is this one?"

"Room," He stops hugging the book as if he were suddenly embarrassed by his reaction to it. "It's one of the greatest novels I've ever read. It's written in the point of view of a six year old who was born in captivity because his mother was kidnapped and held in a shed in a backyard." He explains the entire book to me, and I did not miss the way his eyes would light up when he explained books he loved. He looked at me, "You are good at acting like you care." he said.

"What makes you think I'm acting?"

"Because no one reads anymore. No one likes books anymore."

"Well now what makes you think I don't like books? There's a lot you don't know about me, Rivers."

Rivers smirks, "For some reason, I find myself wanting to figure you out."

I shifted my gaze when all three of the Voices started squealing in my mind. Bunch of fan girls. Regardless, I found myself blushing at his words. "Good luck with that, my therapist can't even figure me out." Rivers gives me a weird look and I realize what an idiot I am. I just told him about my therapist. How stupid was I? "I mean-"

He puts his hand over my mouth. It smelt like flowers. "Shut the hell your mouth." he says and smiles, "I have one too."

I chuckle nervously. "So what are you doing for winter break?" I ask.

His expression turns dark, as if asking that question brought a reality to his mind that he had been trying to forget about. "Nothing," He spits out. "I have to go." He puts the book back on the shelf and leaves me standing in the aisle of books.

Later, at the lunch table, Honeymaren and Delilah were attacking me with questions. One in particular stood out to me.

"Is he gay? Does he like you?" And of course, it came from Honeymaren.

"What? No, that's ridiculous."I scoff.

"You're totally gay. Oh my god!" Chenoa chimes in the conversation.

"I am not!"

"Yes you are," Danny says.

"Big fat homo," Reid adds.

"Just follow your heart," Saraphina says.

Honeymaren squeals, "NO WAY! Do I sense a secret romance going on?"

"Shut up guys," I say. I look away and see Rivers sitting by himself, scowling at the paper in front of him. And of course, I stare.

And of course, they all see it.

So of course, they won't get off my ass about it.

"Did you guys kiss?"

"Does he know you like him?"

"How long have you known you're gay?"

"Wait are you gay or bi?"

"Oh my god this is crazy."

That last one came from Chenoa. But with all the questions coming in at once I was feeling overwhelmed. I had never told anyone of these thoughts that quite literally haunted me. I was in denial. But having these guys be so cool with it made me feel a lot better. So I opened my stupid mouth. This time, without any help from the stupid Voices.