Chapter 7.

Ms. Hale was a short and stout woman with greying hair that went down to her shoulders. She wore the most interesting clothes to school everyday. Today she fashioned a bright pink top that had white stripes on the sleeves, and a bright orange skirt. I don't know a lot about fashion, but I know enough to know-that doesn't go together.

I arrived to class early again today, since Delilah always gets to school late and the rest of the group gets a ride with her. I sat towards the front, next to the spot that she usually sits in and waited for the first bell to ring, just as I have everyday for the past quarter of school.

The thing that was different about today was the new student that walked in and sat in the back of the class. He wore the school's dark blue collared t-shirt and the tan shorts. His hair was longer than what the dress code allowed (hair is not allowed to touch our ears or collar, I learned that the hard way) and it went to his shoulders. It was light brown and slightly curly. And his eyes! They were a shamrock green, changing colors the longer I looked at them until they looked almost blue. He was so... attractive.

Wait. What?

I found myself staring at him. Completely entranced in this mystery boy, that I lost track of how long I had been staring and-

"What are you looking at?" He asked me.

I blink. "N-Nothing." I spin around in my seat, feeling my cheeks grow warm. Dear god what am I thinking?

The final bell rings seconds after Delilah walks in. She makes her way through the rows and sits down next to me. "Who's the cute new boy in the back?"

"Is that what you said about me the first day?" I tease.

"Hell no," She laughs. "Seriously tho, who is that?"

I sneak a glance behind me but spin back around when I make eye contact with him. God, his eyes were so entrancing. "Uh, I'm not sure," I say. "Who cares, he looks like the kind of guy who would give you guys a nickname like the IN." I say this, knowing full well I cared. I cared who he was, I cared to know his name and to know him. My cheeks grow warm.

"You're right," Delilah says and turns back to me. She starts talking about an activity going on this Friday but I can't focus on a word she says. Not with my Voices going wild.

"DID YOU SEE HIM?" Reid shouts.

"Looks like Elijah has a crush," Danny taunts.

"Hey, there's nothing wrong with that," Saraphina reassures me. Even with her words in my mind I can't help but feel like there is something wrong with it.

I'm completely lost in my thoughts until I hear my name being shouted. "Elijah!" It's Ms. Hale. Shit.

"Sorry, what?" I say.

The whole class laughs, including Delilah beside me. Double shit.

"I said, I hope you are with us today, Mr. Jude."

I clear my throat, "Yes ma'am, sorry ma'am."

"Anyway class, as I was saying," She continues with her lecture but again, it's really hard to listen when the Voices in your head won't shut up.

"She just embarrassed you in front of the whole class." Danny says.

"Everyone thinks you're a freak now! We need to go to a new school again!" Reid overthinks, as usual.

"Everyone calm down. The class has already forgotten about it. It's not a big deal." Saraphina comforts me.

"But you know what is a big deal?" Reid says in a sing-song voice. "Elijah Jude likes a boy!"

Finally, I had enough. "NO!" I shout out loud, jumping from my seat. I stumble backwards as all eyes in the class are on me.

"Excuse me?" Ms. Hale raises her eyebrows. "Do you have a problem with what I just assigned, Mr. Jude?"

"No- uh, I don't feel good." I say and run out of the classroom. My hands are sweating and my head is pounding when I reach the drinking fountain. I bend over and take a huge drink. I wet my hands and use them to smooth back my hair.

Reid states the obvious, "This is bad,"

"You think I don't know that?" I say out loud.

"No, like, this is really bad."

"No shit." I say, looking around to make sure no one is in the halls to hear me.

"What do we do now?" Danny says. "New school?"

"No, mom paid a lot of money to get me in here." I think of one of my only friends, Delilah, who saw the whole ordeal. Now she is going to think I am a freak.

What would you do, dad? I need your guidance. Where are you?