Chapter 9

I walked into class the Monday after Bridget's birthday party, in a nasty mood. It wasn't just my brother, I was honestly mad at the entire male gender. I just want to throat punch all of the men in my life.

"So, how come you didn't tell me you had sex with your brother's best friend?" I swung my head to the right and saw Josie smirking at me.

"What?" She rolled her eyes and sat down next to me.

"Oh come on, it's so obvious." My eyes widened, I was under the impression that I hid it well.

"What? How? What do you mean it's obvious?" she reached over and squeezed my hand and gave me a look of pity.

"Maybe it's because I'm a psych major and I pay attention to the little things or that I don't have the preconceived notions that those you grew up with, but to me, it was clear as day." she smiled as if that explained everything.

"Ok, explain. What made it obvious." She sighed.

"Well, for starters every time you mentioned having sex or said something about losing your v-card, you looked at Hayden. I mean it was obvious it wasn't something you did on purpose. Your eyes just kind of strayed to him briefly." I shook my head.

"I do not!" She laughed.

"You do. You also randomly give him longing looks. Not to mention the sexual tension between you two. Just having the two of you in the same room is suffocating. Pure sexual tension." I furrowed my brows, trying to understand what the hell that even means.

"What's pure sexual tension?" I turned around and saw Leo with a cocky smirk on his face.

"Kallie and Hayden," Josie stated and Leo's face fell.

"She's right, it's palpable." I shook my head.

"That can't be true, It's not like I want to have sex with him. I hate him?" Both my friends snorted.

"Even if that were true, Hayden clearly doesn't feel the same," Leo said with a slight bite. Is he mad about something?

"What do you mean?"

"He looks at you like he either wants to devour you or he wants you, but he can't have you, you know, longingly," Leo said with a shrug.

"Honestly, I want someone to look at me the way Hayden looks at you," Josie said with a sigh.

"Whatever you guys say. You're wrong." I gulped. They are wrong, right? I mean they have to be.

++++++++++++

I have always been fascinated by the human brain. We are complex creatures, with complex actions. Psychologists can study human behavior and find patterns and similarities, but can we ever really know what goes on inside. It's all just educated guesses. A prediction.

I can predict that if I went clubbing with the girls, that Beth would get drunk and whine about Landon, Josie would get sloppy drunk and do something embarrassing and Bridget would hit on Beth all night.

I can predict that behavior because I've been to parties with the girls, that have ended similarly. I can predict the actions of my friends because I know them.

Hayden Young, however, is a whole other story. Every time I think I have him figured out, he does something so left field that I feel like I have to completely reevaluate how I look at him.

It's been a few days since Josie and Leo told me that there is sexual tension between Hayden and me and since then, I've done my best to avoid him.

Although, living with someone makes it impossible to completely avoid them and that means we've had some awkward encounters.

I know I've been weird with him, Beth has noticed, which means it's only a matter of time before Hayden mentions it. Which he will.

It was no surprise when I was brought out of my thoughts by a knock on the door. I fully expected it to be Hayden questioning my strangeness. It wasn't. It was my brother.

"Hey, can we talk?" I gave a slight nod to answer and moved out of the way.

"So, what's up?" I asked plopping on the bed.

"You're my baby sister, Kallie, but you aren't a little kid who needs protecting anymore and I need to accept that." I sighed.

"Yeah, you're right. I'm not a little kid and I don't need protection anymore."

"I didn't protect you three years ago." I rolled my eyes and punched him in the shoulder.

"I didn't need protection." I closed my eyes and laughed, realizing how that sounded, "I mean, I made a conscious decision that night. No one forced me. Everything that happened that night was what I wanted. Do I regret it? Yes, it was a mistake, but a mistake that I have to live with."

"Are you still not going to tell me who?" I shook my head.

"No, Landon. Telling you would cause nothing but trouble. Now, get out of my room." We hugged and he walked out the door.

"Oh, also mom called, apparently she has good news and is taking us to dinner." I groaned.

"Let me guess, I have half an hour to get ready?" Landon laughed, knowing that's exactly how our mother is. She's always been free-spirited and spontaneous. She never thinks before she acts, it's just how she is. It's fun at times and annoying at others.

"Oh, and mom said and I quote 'tell your sister she has to wear a dress. A nice one, but not too nice.' whatever that means."

"Actually knowing mom, I know exactly what that means." I kicked my brother out and pulled out a pretty lacy white dress.

I practically tore my arm off trying to get the damn zipper up. Then I finally gave up and called Beth. It only took a few seconds for her to walk in.

"Hey, will you zip me?" I asked without looking. the second large rough hands touched my spine, I knew it wasn't Beth. It was Hayden. It had to be. Even after my dress was zipped, I refused to turn around.

"Kallie." He practically whispered, "Kallie, turn around." I shook my head.

"I'm, uh, good. I gotta go." I tried to make a run for it, but I only made it half a step before Hayden grabbed my arm and made me turn around.

"Why are you being so squirrely." I shook my head.

"I'm not." He narrowed his eyes.

"Yes, you are. You've hardly said two words to me over the past few days. You practically sprint out of the room. What gives." I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

"I don't know, ok. I feel kind of weird. Josie said something about you in class on Monday and it kind of freaked me out." He raised a brow.

"What kind of thing?" I looked away.

"Just something about me and you. It was ridiculous." He smirked.

"So, you're making yourself crazy?"

"Probably. Now, can you let me go?"

"Fine, but this isn't over." I gave a weak smile as I removed myself from his arms and made a speedy escape.

Time for dinner with my annoying brother and crazy mother.

This will be interesting.

++++++++++++

Sorry for the long wait, I had a touch of writer's block. I'll try to get the next chapter out in the next couple of days.

Much love

-Kassie

P.S follow my Instagram for daily updates