17

Elizabeth and Spencer spent the day playing chess, Elizabeth explaining different openings and strategies as Spencer listened avidly

Elizabeth and Spencer spent the day playing chess, Elizabeth explaining different openings and strategies as Spencer listened avidly. He enjoyed listening to her ramble on about all the little details and intricacies of the game she clearly adored. She spoke of the game like how a poet describes war and love and life.

Spencer listened to her, though he wasn't focused on her words. The way her eyes sparkled in the light as she smiled, how her lips moved as she talked. He found her beautiful. She moved pieces on the board to demonstrate her points as she continued to ramble on excitedly. Spencer couldn't help but allow her to keep talking. Every once in a while, he'd suggest other moves that he thought could work. She'd explain to him how the game could play out following the moves he'd suggest and how certain pieces would have to move. Elizabeth would talk about the great moves Spencer suggested with passion and how she'd never have even thought of it.

Before they knew it, it was late afternoon, and the knocking at Elizabeth's door pulled them from their discussion.

"Lizzy, are you ready for the press conference? Please don't tell me you forgot." An unfamiliar voice shouted from the other side of the door.

"Oh no." Elizabeth muttered. "Spencer I am so sorry about this, I completely forgot about this." She turned towards the door. "Luke, I'll be there in a minute, I just need to do a few things."

"So you did forget then?"

"Yes, just head to the conference now, I'll be there in five minutes."

"Fine, I'll see you there." He paused. "Is there a guy in there with you?"

"Go!"

"Okay, okay. I'm going."

Elizabeth rummaged through the drawers as Spencer stood awkwardly in the corner. He looked around the room as Elizabeth continued to look for whatever item seemed to be evading her.

"Do you need help?" He asked.

"No, no. I should be fine. You can head down to the conference room if you want. We have a Q and A session afterwards."

Spencer nodded, heading to the door. "Do you want to do something after, or are you going to be busy."

"I'll probably just come back here to practice."

He nodded, slightly disappointed. "Okay, well, I'll see you tomorrow." He said, turning to leave.

"Spencer. I'm sorry I can't spend more time with you."

"Why? You don't have control over it. Plus your here primarily here for work."

"I know, but I do want to spend more time with you. I just feel bad about this."

"You shouldn't." He smiled awkwardly. "I'll see you at the conference."

Elizabeth felt bad that she couldn't spend more time with Spencer. She felt guilty about how she had little control about how little time she had to spend with him. He deserved more from her.