30

Tensions were high in Cannon Beach

   Tensions were high in Cannon Beach. In the last week, a body had been found by some teenagers two towns over, and although they had initially thought that it was someone who had drowned and turned up on the beach, the autopsy revealed different. The police hadn't revealed the manner of death, though the rumours that went around were horrific, ranging from she'd been strangled to someone had cut out her intestines to the killer stuffed razor blades down her throat. Either way, each was more brutal than the last and least to say that every man, woman and child was on high alert along the coast. 

  Unlike the other residents of the small costal town, Elizabeth didn't allow herself to get wrapped up in the grizzly details of the murder. She was more concerned about the job in DC. She'd called both Alex Blake and the head of the languages department, a man named Dr David Hughes, who seemed happy that she'd decided to call about the department and told her he'd send over a few of his own recorded lectures to get somewhat of an understanding of what the school was actually like.

   On top of that she'd filled out the forms and applications to move to Virginia with the university backing them. At that point it was a waiting game to hear back from the State Department. 

   Jasmine and May had been round to visit and although Elizabeth hadn't told them about what had happened between her and Connor, they did know about her rejecting his date proposal. The group were actually getting together at Elizabeth's for a sleepover, which a lot of women who lived alone had been doing recently. 

   The grocery store wasn't too busy as she grabbed snacks and vegetarian foods so that all of them could eat. It was mainly crisps and whatever junk food she could find that didn't have any meat or biproducts. She grabbed some other necessities that she needed, before heading to the register.

   Of course, Elizabeth was never allowed a quiet day. 

   "Lizzy, is that you?" An all too familiar voice asked.

   Elizabeth groaned internally, praying that it wasn't who she thought it was. "Connor, how are you?"

   "Good, just grabbing groceries and a few things for the old people that live a few doors down. Apparently Mrs Fitzpatrick got the flu, poor woman, so I offered to get their groceries for them."

   "Oh, that's nice." Elizabeth said, packing up the items as quickly as they were scanned through.

   "You've bought a lot of snacks. You doing something special?"

   "No, the girls are staying over for a few days."

   "I'm assuming because of the murder?"

   "It's more for their sakes than mine. Plus I think they're planning on celebrating me taking the job I got offered in DC." She instantly regretted telling him about DC. Knowing her luck the creep would follow her there.