37

Families where by far the worst part about working for the FBI

   Families where by far the worst part about working for the FBI. They were demanding, asking for promises that they couldn't make and arguing with every decision they made. Upon finding out that Elizabeth's family had arrived, they assumed that they would be the same.

   The first indication they had was large family entering the empty department was their first sign. Spencer had expected just her parents to come, but upon seeing the toddler, who he assumed must have been her nephew, Noah. All of her immediate family, including spouses had shown up, leading to nine people standing in the station, looking rather lost. 

   "Reid, with me." Hotch says, exiting the small meeting room the team were working out of. 

   "Why me? JJ normally deals with families." The tall genius replies, following Hotch out of the room.

   "Because you're closely involved with this case, you'll be able to relate to the family more than the others." He paused before speaking again, "Plus while we're waiting for the warrant to seize the beach clean up sheets, we can't do anything and I can tell you need to do something." As they approached, Hotch grew quiet and Spencer watched the families worried faces follow them as they grew closer.

    "Hello, I'm Agent Aaron Hotchner and this is Dr Spencer Reid of the FBI. We're working on Elizabeth Mill's case, and Dr Reid is here to answer any questions you may have regarding the case. If you'll excuse me, I have some things that need my attention." 

   As Hotch walked away, Spencer stood in an awkward silence, waiting for the family to speak. 

   "Aren't you a bit young to be a doctor?" The youngest woman said, looking rather annoyed. 

   "Viviane!" The oldest woman exclaimed, "Sorry about my daughter's attitude, we're all worried about Elizabeth."

   "It's fine, I get the question a lot. I graduated early, so I got my PhD quite young. Is there any questions I can answer for you?"

   The older man spoke up. "What are you doing to find my daughter, and I don't want any of the usual speech about how you and your team are doing the most you can to find her, I want specifics."

    "We're currently following a lead as to where your daughter may have first met the man who may have done this, as well as reviewing the evidence we've already got in order to help us build a case against the unsub."

    "Unsub?" The man who Spencer assumed was Arthur asked.

   "Unknown Subject. On top of investigating cases, me and my team analyse criminal behaviours to help us understand their motives and what they might do. It helps us to get an accurate profile of criminals and assure that we have the right person."

   "All I want to know," Elizabeth's mother spoke once again, "Is if you'll ensure that my daughter will be returned to us, safe."

   Spencer's heart dropped. As much as he wanted to promise it to them, to himself, he knew it was a selfish thing, to give them hope because he desperately wanted it to be true. "We'll try out hardest to get her home to you, that I can promise."