03

To Elizabeth,

   I am currently in Austin, so I'm sorry if my letter is short. You're right my co-workers do make it somewhat bearable. If anything, they're more like a family for me.

   A doctorate in Linguistics is cool! I also have a Phd. I think at one point I wanted to get a degree in linguistics, however I had just gotten accepted into the FBI academy, so I didn't end up doing it.

   Playing chess professionally must be difficult, I've played before, with one of my old coworkers. I only won once, so I don't think I'd be very entertaining for you to play with. I do want to learn though, so what would your first move be in a game? 

   I hope this doesn't sound to strange, but I was actually reading the Princess of Cleves on my way to Austin. Original French of course. I enjoyed it alot, I can see why it's your favourite. It's definitely going in my top 10 list. 

            I hope to hear from you soon,

                         Spencer

Dear Spencer,

   I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the Princess of Cleves, it's not strange at all. I also bought a copy of Great Expectations after you recommended it. I can see why you enjoyed it. I spent my evenings reading it in my backyard. I would like to say I watch the sunset while reading, but unfortunately it backs onto the coast, so I'm not so lucky. Maybe in the winter I'll reread it and watch the sunset from my front window. It's a bay window, I think you'd enjoy reading there, its cozy.

   How was Austin anyway? I hope that you're okay and you don't get hurt. I would hate to never hear from you again, your letters are definitely one of the best parts of my week. I remember a trip I had to Austin, in high school as part of the chess team. I lost horrifically, however I was playing people twice my age. I'll send you the game page if you want, hopefully you'll see where I went wrong.

   As for what move I'd play if we were to play together, it depends. I wouldn't be able to tell you what black move I'd play until you told me what white move you'd make, however if I were to play white, it'd easily be e5. I'd take centre and you wouldn't be able to advance into d5 and f5. Kingside pawn is, in my opinion always one of the best first moves to play. You open up the kingside bishop and the queen for movement. What would you play first? I'd like to know. Maybe I could prepare for if we'd ever play together.

    What's your Phd in? I'm curious, my first guess would have been literature, but knowing you work for the FBI, my guess is now politics or something. Somehow I still think its wrong.

            I hope to hear from you soon,

                       Elizabeth

To Elizabeth,

   I'm sorry my letter was late, I was in Austin longer than expected. The case was pretty bad, I'd rather not talk about it. Don't worry too much about me, I don't intend on leaving your letters unanswered anytime soon. They're also one of my favourite part of the week. I like coming back from cases to your letters, for some reason they always seem to make me feel better.

    As for my Phd, I have three, Mathematics, Chemistry and Engineering. I graduated high school when I was eleven, so I can't help but feel like I cheated in some way. I'm assuming our college experience was very different, what was it like for you?

   As for what I would play first, I would probably go with Nf3. It's probably a terrible move and you're laughing at me from your back yard or bay window. I suppose I just like bringing my knights into play early. As for my counter to your  e4 move, I was thinking  e5. It would prevent you from advancing on the e-file and I defend d4 and f4. I have a feeling I'm going to be learning a lot more about chess now, so tell me your favourite chess fact. I want to know.