06

As Spencer finished the letter Elizabeth had sent him, he saw the number written at the bottom of the page, along with a loopy 'Feel free to call'

As Spencer finished the letter Elizabeth had sent him, he saw the number written at the bottom of the page, along with a loopy 'Feel free to call'. He smiled widely. He was finally going to be able to hear her voice. He didn't know weather to call her straight away, or wait a little. He wanted to call her straight away, however he wasn't even sure what he'd say. Would she like his voice, or would she laugh at him and stop writing? She wouldn't, would she?

He sighed, flopping down on his couch. Why was this so confusing? They were friends, this should be easy. It was ten am now, so it would be seven am for her. That's a reasonable hour to call, right? Spencer wished he'd told Derek, he'd know what to do.

To ease his nerves, Spencer picked up a book, Elizabeth's book, and read through the first few chapters. It was a strange book, and something Spencer would never have expected from the time. He understood why she liked it. The women were strong characters, something that was rarely found in the 18th century.

Eventually, he grabbed his cell phone and the note and typed in Elizabeth's number. The phone rang once, twice.

"Hello?" A voice questioned.

"Hi, it's Spencer. Spencer Reid, from the letters?"

Her voice relaxed, "Oh wow, Spencer?! I can't believe you actually called."

"Yeah, I can't believe I'm hearing your voice."

"I'm actually talking to you! This is crazy."

"Yeah, yeah, it really is." Spencer smiled. Her voice was beautiful, like the singing of birds in spring and the wind on a summer's day. Just to be hearing her was a gift.

"So, what are you doing today?" She asked.

"I'm not sure. It's the weekend, and as far as I'm concerned we don't have a case. I have to write your letter later, so if I do end up doing anything remotely interesting, I'll tell you. What about you?"

"I'm actually helping out at a beach clean up today. My friend May signed me and a few others up for it without telling us, but I figured I'd do it. I need to get out of the house a bit more."

"That sounds nice." Spencer sighed. "I might go to this new bookstore that opened a few blocks away. I hear they have a pretty good collection of underground novels."

"You'll have to tell me all about it in your letter. I'm going to enjoy reading it now that I know what you sound like."

"I'm going to enjoy reading your reply." Spencer said back. He was, he really was.

His phone rang in his ear, the moment was ruined. "Hey, can I put you on hold really quick? I'm getting a call, it might be work."

"Yeah, of course."

Spencer quickly switched lines to Derek. "Pretty boy, we've got a case. Portland."

"Oregon?" Spencer questioned. It hadn't been a month and Portland already had another serial?