chapter one

Another summer at Malfoy Manor. The summers you spent there were the most memorable ones of your life. Running through the forests, the hallways, the gardens, and the street at nighttime made you feel alive.

Walking up the cobbled pathway to the grand door, struggling to carry your luggage, you use the large brass knocker to let Draco know of your presence. You hear something behind you and shriek.

Turning around, you sigh in relief as you realize that it was just Draco. He had recently learned to Apparate and he wouldn't stop showing it off, whether it was how fast he could Apparate, how far he could Apparate, how quickly he could Apparate to the living room and back. You roll your eyes and Draco laughs.

"Enjoy teaching me last year?" he asks. Draco was a good student to only some professors, and you were lucky to be one of the ones he liked. "No," you say, rolling your eyes once again, and Draco frowns, pretending to be hurt.

"Oh, by the way, how's your girlfriend?" you ask, smirking. Draco blushes subtly, barely enough for you to notice, and smiles. Draco used to act tough all the time, even around you, but after he met his girlfriend, his soulmate- he changed. He was so much happier, and so were you because you knew your best friend was starting to heal from his past.

"Delaney? She's fine," he says. "Really fine- anyways.."

Laughing, he walks up behind you towards the door, giving you a tight but brief hug first.

"Welcome, Y/n." he says, pulling away, and he opens the door for you to enter, as you are once again remembering just how breathtaking the manor is inside. Where's Narcissa? you wonder as Draco holds the door open for you and you walk in. You and Narcissa have always been close, but for some reason she wasn't like a mother to you the way Lucius was like a father to you. A terrible, murderous father-

You were beginning to get out of breath and Draco hadn't bothered to help you, so you Apparate to the room that they had saved for you. You smile at the beauty and warmth of it. The patterned window, the potted plants, the green and black color palette, and the sunlight seeping in through the branches that covered the window were all so familiar to you.

You sigh, and hear a soft knock on the door that you somehow recognize as Narcissa. You catch yourself smiling and turn around to see her opening the door to you. "Welcome, darling," she says and that made you feel a way you couldn't explain. Realizing that made you feel ashamed, that was Draco's mother. But she was just so.. No. Stop.

Another thing you couldn't explain was the way she started to look at you last summer. Well, it wasn't just that summer. You just started to notice it that summer, because that summer was the time that you first realized something. Something that you wanted to tell everyone, everyone in the world, but you knew you could tell no one. So you didn't.

You see a confused look on Narcissa's face and quickly realize that you have been in your thoughts for too long. "Sorry," you say, blushing ever so slightly, and she smiles, silently leading you into the kitchen.

As you are walking through and navigating the hallways, she decides to make conversation and you feel the feeling again. "So, Y/n. What's it like teaching at Hogwarts?"

Oh, yes, you had forgotten about that for a few minutes. This place was like an escape from the world, and sometimes when you were here you had to be reminded of your own life in the wizarding world.

"It's-" you pause. "Interesting," you say, and she laughs. Opening your mouth to speak again, you start to talk about your life there, the other teachers, the students, the classes, and the food.. you don't have many people that you can talk to about anything you want to with, you sometimes even have limits with Draco, so you go on for a full minute.