60 | fifteenth

CHAPTER SIXTY | F I F T E E N T H

        THAT DAY, IT WAS WARM as anyone would hope as they planned to celebrate the arrival of Jean's baby. Paradise Café was buzzing with excitement, and decorated from ceiling to floor with everything pink: balloons, flowers, glitters, paper. Name it, and it was baby pink. It was a glaring pink that was proudly Paula's project. Paula was strict about it as well, even stricter than Jean was. Her rule was very clear—everyone must wear pink. Everyone should dress the part as they anticipated the arrival of Jean's baby girl. And sure enough, Brie was dressed in a floral, baby pink dress that stopped just above her knees. It flowed elegantly, brushing against her legs in a gentle caress. For a bargain, this was a total steal.

She made half a twirl in the washroom, right in front of Paradise Café's full length mirror then shook her head. This was ridiculous. She shouldn't be this bothered about how she looked. But a huge part of her was. She was nervous. For the first time in a while, she would see all of the people who used to be such a huge part of her life, but this time, they were practically strangers.

The outcome of this event would set the course for all the connections they had left with each other. Brie both dreaded and anticipated it.

The door swung open and Paula's head popped in. She beamed when she saw Brie. "I knew you'd be in here. Troy told me you arrived already, but I didn't see you walk in so I thought he was messing with me." Paula  brows shot up as if she took in Brie's outfit. "Oh, is that the dress we got together last month?"

Brie ran her hands over her skirt and smiled. "It sure is. I thought I should wear it at my first college party but technically we've graduated already and Jean's baby shower is a party."

"You're right about that," Paula said, laughing. Wearing a light pink blouse with chiffon sleeves, Paula looked immaculate. Her highwaist jeans accented how small her waist was, and having her hair pulled up in a bun, showed-off her slender neck. She was headed to New York tomorrow and today's party was the best send-off as well.

Brie's heart tightened at the thought of being separated from her closest friend, but she knew how excited Paula was for university.

Paula walked inside and shut the door behind her. The sudden change in her demeanor told Brie that there was something she should brace herself for.

"Is everything alright?"

Paula nodded a little too enthusiastically. "Yeah, it is. Of course! Oh, who am I kidding? I'm here to make sure you're okay."

Brie frowned. "I'm okay. Why wouldn't I be?"

"They'll all be here and we all know what happened last time. Are you sure you're ready for this?"

She wasn't sure if she was, honestly. There was no amount of preparation that could've prepared her for today. If anything, she was scared but bracing herself. There was no other way out but through it. "Simon will be here too," she said his name carefully, watching the smile disappear on Paula's face. "We're both not ready for this, nor looking forward to seeing them again but we both know that it's the first step forward."

"It is." Paula reached out and brushed the stray hair out of Brie's face. Her fingers smelled of peaches and honey, exactly what Paula would be if she was a scent. "But we're both brave and we got this. Now get out of this bathroom before I haul you out."