14 | fringe

/ CHAPTER FOURTEEN - FRINGE /

       TWO MONTHS WITHOUT TALKING to her friends wasn't easy. Brie was used to it by now, but whenever she'd see them by their usual table, laughing as if they had forgotten she and Paula existed, a dull ache still pulled at her chest.

It only took them a week of trying before they gave up altogether. Simon no longer tried to joke with her at American Gov, Jean's worried texts halted, Troy barely glanced at her anymore and Ollie... he'd only acknowledge her every now and then with a brief nod, then he'd laugh along with his swim team as if nothing happened.

They weren't even the same tight-knit group anymore. Back then, when they were sophomores, they'd all wait for each other at the parking lot, agree to meet up at the treehouse after school and then they'd stay there just before it was time for dinner. Simon always planned these trips and he and Paula would argue whether it was another day for burgers or pizza.

Now, a group of three cheerleaders including Izzy took their place at the table, and since then, she saw how much louder their table had been.

Brie felt defeated by the memory of Xander smiling at her when their friends would argue. They were usually the ones who'd stay quiet, a little perturbed by the ruckus, but enjoying the company anyway. He'd wrinkle his nose at her whenever their eyes would meet over the flurry of arms and arguing heads, then his lips would stretch out in the softest of smiles. It was a no-brainer that Brie fell in love with him.

He was smart, sweet, polite and gorgeous. Xander was her dream guy, the prince in her own version of a fairytale. It took her two years of loving him silently and an official girlfriend for her to realize that his kindness didn't mean he liked her back. He wasn't too shy to admit he was in love with her too, he just wasn't. It was as simple as that.

Now they were all gone—out of her reach. She knew that they finally got tired of trying to coddle her and her damn feelings. She was stubborn and desperate for help yet she wouldn't dare admit to them that she did wrong. She already lost by admitting how she felt for Xander, she couldn't lose herself as well by giving out the only last piece she had: her pride.

Paula was enough for her. They were the ones who knew each other the longest, anyway. She didn't need anybody else. But what happened in the afternoon, just as she was about to endure another numbing American Gov class was a surprise. Jean walked up to her.

"Hey," she said. Brie flinched but glanced at her old friend sideways anyway. She pretended to be busy shuffling books around in her locker, ignoring the heat of Jean's stare as she followed her movements.

"So, it's my birthday this Saturday..." Jean left it at that, waiting for Brie to give a reaction.

She knew where this was headed, and as much as she appreciated the gesture, she couldn't get past the fact that they were no longer friends.

Yes, they always celebrated Jean's birthday together. Yes, it was a tradition back then and it was nice that she still decided to mention it to her despite not speaking for almost two months.

Jean cleared her throat. Sighing, Brie turned to look at her old friend. It was the first time she faced Jean eye-to-eye since that scene at her treehouse. It was the same day that Jean gave her an encouraging nod. It was like a dam broke and emotions barreled toward her. Jean looked the same, but different. Her black hair was now in a short bob, and Brie noticed that she was now wearing pink gloss and her dark eyes were punctuated with winged-liners.

She was starting to dress like Izzy, and it felt like her heart was then again butchered to ten million pieces.

Brie looked away. "Happy birthday."

Jean smiled. It looked genuine enough. She held out a finger. "Oh, hold on." Rummaging through her sequined, magenta purse, she pulled out a card the size of a CD-case and handed it to Brie. "Here's the invite for you and Paula. I hope you guys can come. We haven't hung out in a while."

"Uh, it's been hectic," was what she said, but Jean didn't hear her because Wes Price passed and he greeted Jean with a wink and a slap in the butt.

What the? Brie's mouth hung open, and on instinct, she would've grabbed Wes by his Ralph Lauren collar if it wasn't for Jean's giggle. Her head swung back to her friend in disbelief. Was this what Jean has become?

"He's cute, isn't he?" she whispered to Brie, eyes still trailing after Wes's lean back. "We went out on a date last week. Izzy and Xander introduced him to me. It's been crazy, Brie. I wish you were there at the party, but you never picked up my calls so." She ended with a shrug and Brie wanted to grab her by the shoulders and shake her back to sanity.

"What's wrong with you, Jean? You're not like this."

Jean looked confused. "Like what? A Hispanic girl with cute outfits?"

"You know that's not what I mean," she said, mouth dry with the realization that she didn't know her friend anymore. "Guys like Wes are bad news. You used to hate them. You even hate makeup and fringes and yet here you are looking exactly like the girl you used to hate."

"Okay, hold on a sec, Brie." Jean held up a hand and Brie didn't get a sight of her trademark bangles on her arm. "Let me just clarify a few things. One: I don't hate pretty girls, you do. Second: I like Wes and we're gonna celebrate my birthday together in the most meaningful of ways. And finally, you don't get tell me how I should behave. I invited you to my birthday party and not to dictate my life."

"Is this what hanging out with Izzy has done to you? You chose that girl who's gonna take you away from your principles over me and Paula?"

Jean laughed and though it sounded sweet, it felt like nails being pushed down Brie's ears. "Brie, relax, will ya? I invited you for old time's sake even if I shouldn't have. So can you please just take the damn invite? Don't come if you don't want to. But I'm not gonna sacrifice my fun for your peace of mind and primitive beliefs."

This time, Brie was the one left standing there. Her brown eyes followed Jean who was greeted by another cheerleader just as the bell rang. The shrill sound from the speakers shook her out of her stupor, and one thought filled her mind.

She needed to make sure that Jean wouldn't do something she'd regret. Brie regretted so many things, and though they weren't friends anymore, she wouldn't let her live through the same mistakes.

She had to do something.

-
Merry Christmas, lovelies! 🎄 hope you all had an amazing celebration for those who celebrate.