07 | poke

CHAPTER SEVEN - POKE

IT WAS OLLIE who found her. Brie was a block away from home, aimlessly walking around with her heart heavily weighing down her steps. She didn't know where she was headed, but the humiliation and pain that she felt earlier was the motivation that pushed her to keep on walking.

And right when she was about to cross the street was when Ollie's familiar, hand-me-down, white corolla slid right across her vision. It stopped a meter away from her, and she instantly hated the smell of gasoline that filled her nostrils. The tinted window rolled down, and Ollie grinned at her, tan arm dangling from the window.

"Brie-Brie! Where are you headed? Don't tell me the party's over and I'm that late."

She stared at him, at his grinning face that exposed his slightly crooked teeth, his floppy ash-blonde hair and smiling dark blue eyes. The flush on his cheeks that were stretched over his face, an adorable pointed nose and his damn cute dimples. He looked like a young Instagram model with the smile of a Disney character. He was warm and gorgeous at the same time and Brie just wished it was Ollie who she fell in love with and not Xander.

She burst out crying.

Ollie was stunned. His mouth drew open and he fidgeted in his seat, then he got out of his car and walked up to Brie. He stood there long enough to be uncomfortable. He kept shifting his weight from foot to foot, arms swinging. And finally, when no words could form from his still gaping lips, he poked her arm.

"Brie..." Another poke.

The insistent pokes were annoying her, but she remained sniffing. She didn't want to talk right now. At all. She'd rather go home, shower and cuddle with her dog. "Stop it," she croaked, shoving at his chest.

Ollie dropped his arm but stayed close to her. Brie saw how his face morphed into different emotions⁠—too many times for a couple of seconds⁠—and frowned.

"What?"

"What what?"

She glared at him. "Stop looking at me as if you know what happened but you decided that it's better if you pretended that you didn't."

"Wow," he laughed. A few strands of his hair fell to his eyes and he quickly pushed them up, "that was quite accurate. Have you considered becoming a psychic in the future? It can earn you big bucks."

"I'm serious, Ollie."

"And so am I." Mischief still played in his eyes, but his face was now slowly turning serious. Brie wanted him to understand that she was in no mood for jokes, and she was glad that he somewhat understood that. Out of everyone else in their group, Ollie had always been the chill one.

Maybe it was the way he carried himself. A bit indifferent and aloof, borderline childish. A tad bit irresponsible and a full-time jokester. He was the one who came from a well-off, devoutly Christian family, but he was the last person to be taken seriously.

Grinning and dark blue eyes twinkling, he pulled at the sleeve of Brie's Peppa Pig T-shirt. "C'mon. I know someplace where you can feel better."

Brie struggled to get out of his hold. Dang it, she just wanted to go home. "Let me go! I don't wanna go anywhere."

"Where are you going then?" he taunted, right brow raising. "we both know for sure that you're not heading anywhere near your crib. They're still there. Paula texted me."

Okay, that was true. But she didn't wanna go and be with Ollie either. Maybe she should just keep walking and wait for them to leave.

"Stop," Ollie said. Brie looked up at him, frowning when she saw the knowing look on his face. "Yeah, I am judging you and also yes, I'm not gonna let you wander in the streets. Now go and get in the car because we're getting out of here. Clear?"

A curse was pushing out of her mouth. She wanted to yank her arm off his hold and punch everyone that would cross her way. Yet, in reality, she knew she'd only end up hurting herself. So, with a tired sigh, she nodded her head. Ollie gave her the biggest grin.

-

"Your room. This is your idea of a fun place⁠—are you for real?"

Brie glared at every corner of the light gray room that Ollie dragged her into. She didn't like it at all. Well, not entirely the room, but rather the idea of being there with Ollie. It wasn't the first time that she had been there, but she was never alone with the owner himself.

Ollie quickly plopped himself down a swivel chair, kicked his feet up on his computer table and spread out his arm. "Welcome to my humble abode. Quite cozy, isn't it?"

She let her eyes the liberty of scanning his cliche, high school student room. It was... okay. Not exactly as extravagant as the ones that belonged to rich kids in the movies. In fact, it looked like a regular eighteen-year-old's room with an unmade bed and band posters.

She sat on the edge of his bed, careful not to press too much of herself on the mattress. She didn't know what went on that space.

Ollie clicked his tongue, clearly offended. "Excuse you, I change my sheets and I never have sex at home. It's always at the girl's place. I'm so much of a gentleman to let her do the walk of shame."

"Will you shut up, you only had two girlfriends."

He shrugged. "That's still two more than you."

Brie's face fell. Wow, that stung. Maybe she made the wrong decision by choosing to come with him. She shouldn't have jumped into his car. He was friends with Xander more than he was with her. She perfectly knew where his loyalty laid.

"Okay, I think I need to get home." There was no point in staying. She much rather wander somewhere out there than stay in a room with a person who'd poke fun at her clearly-bruised ego. Brie stood, swiping away the water bottle that he gave her that she placed on the floor right next to her feet. She needed to get out of here.

"Wait!" Ollie jumped out of his seat and ran towards his door, blocking her exit with his body. He looked remorseful with his lower lip puckered out and his sorry eyes, but Brie had too much nonsense to deal with today. She didn't need another one.

"Get out of my way, Ollie."

"Look," he started to say, voice low. "I'm sorry. That was uncalled for. Please stay. I'm not gonna be an asshole friend anymore."

Sighing, Brie tried to push him away but he wouldn't budge. "Ollie, I wanna go home."

"Brie-Brie! No, don't."

She stopped pushing him, shoulders sagging in defeat. She looked up to meet his somber dark blue eyes. "Why?"

Ollie smiled. It was a small sad smile that made Brie's heart drop. It looked exactly like the smile that could only deliver sad news. She braced herself, especially her fallen heart.

"It's just that you can't seek comfort in a place that has already hurt you."

She couldn't utter a single word; no letters formed in her head. She knew her friend wasn't just talking about her house and that fact hurt so much more.