Chapter 1

"WHATS YOUR NAME, RUNT?" The Head
Instructor yelled.

"Thomas Wagner, sir! From the Trost district!"

My eyes blinked in surprise. Thomas was here too? That's like the 4th person from there. I thought I was going to be the only one from Trost who joined the 104th training corps. I assumed the majority of recruits would be from Shiganshina, given that they were the ones who were breached five years ago. My thoughts became distracted as I heard Commander Shadis antagonize yet another recruit.

"ARE YOU REALLY THE BEST THE KROLVA DISTRACT HAS TO OFFER?" He barked.

"Y-Yes sir, I-I'm afraid so sir." The mousy looking female cadet squealed.

"PATHETIC!" Shadis yelled.

Ugh. Does he have to be loud? It's 7am for walls sake. Wouldn't it be better to not scare new recruits away? This was a joining ceremony, Great way to feel welcome.

I didn't realize why he was much louder now until he stood in front of me.

"WHATS YOUR NAME LITTLE GIRL?" Commander Shadis shouted.

Little? Who is baldy here calling little? I ignored the offense and answered anyway.

"It's F/N L/N, sir. From the Trost district." I answered calmly. I decided to put my resting bitch face to use. It was the only thing people in Trost said I did well at.

"L/N? Are you perhaps related to Vincent L/N?" He asked normally, which was a first.

"...Yeah, that's my dad's name. Why?" I said, confused.

"Your dad is Vince!? He was my best friend when we were both in the training corps! I went on to join the survey corps, but he opted to stay in the Garrison Regiment. Real shame though, he had the talent to be in the corps." The Commander exclaimed.

I was stunned. My dad could've been a Survey Corps cadet? He ignored my surprise look and asked me another question.

"How's old Vince doin anyway?" Shadis asked.

"Oh, ummm...he passed away five years ago." I muttered to the Commander.

"Oh." He coughed. Realizing he was suppose to be interrogating me, he resumed his yelling.

"WELL I HOPE HE PASSED HIS TALENT ONTO YOU, WE DON'T NEED USELESS CADETS HERE." The Commander barked, moving along.

I rolled my eyes. So much for the sentimental moment. I feel eyes bore into me since the interaction between me and the Commander was different from the others. Yay, now people are gonna think I'm being coddled by the Commander because of my dad.

As I break away from my thoughts and look up, I noticed a familiar face being questioned by Commander Shadis. I couldn't put a name to his face until the brown haired cadet said,

"Jean Kirschtein, sir. From the Trost district and ready to serve the King and the Walls."

"Kirschtein, huh? And after the Training Corps, what do you hope on joining?" Shadis asked, obviously disliking Jean's smug face.

"Uh, I hope to join the Military Police and serve our amazing King." The spikey haired male replied.

The Commander scoffed at his response then unexpectedly head butted the cadet. Jean stumbles and falls to the ground as Shadis says what everyone was thinking.

"YEAH RIGHT, YOU JUST WANT A COZY LIFE IN WALL SINA! AND WHO SAID YOU COULD FUCKING SIT? TO YOUR FEET, CADET!"

Wanting to avoid another surprise attack, Jean jumps to his feet and bows as The Commander moved to the last few cadets to scare. When he finally finished the interrogations, Shadis entered into a long speech about the three regiments and rules and blah blah blah. I wasn't even listening because I couldn't get over who he yelled at the worst. (besides potato girl)

Jean Kirschtein.

A.k.a the bully who teased me relentlessly about my weight and appearance all through out grade school. I was bullied enough as it is but he truly made my life a living hell. It got bad to where I left school and started helping with my Mom's bakery but only a few weeks would go by until we encountered the effects of the breech of Shiganshina. Many escaped to Trost and began stealing from my Mom's shop and chaos arose everywhere. My family was separated and till eventually I only had my brother and we sought refuge. When I couldn't find my brother in the regiment camps because of the second breaching of the north gate, I decided to join the corps soon after. The fall of Shiganshina split up my family and threatened humanity. I couldn't just sit around. I promised myself I would make a change. But now I feel weird. I can't believe he's here too.

I shook my head. Forget him, this is a new chapter for me, a new me who will help save humanity and find my family if possible. This new mindset of mine ended up being interrupted by The Commander yet again.

"ANYWAYS, THAT IS ALL. NOW GO TO YOUR BARRACKS AND MEET IN THE DINNER HALL AT XXXX HOURS, YA LITTLE BRATS!" Shadis yelled.

———————————————————————————

After I got situated, I decided to interact with my new roommates. I mean, I may not have had friends in grade school but it's never too late to start, right?

I walked over to the girl whose bed was next to mine. She looked scary, but I introduced myself anyway.

"Hi, I'm Y/N. What's your name?" I said, hoping to sound amicable since I've never done this before.

"Hello, I'm Mikasa. Nice to meet you." The black haired girl smiled as she reached out her hand.

Oh my walls, this queen is gorgeous and nice? I swear this Mikasa girl has no flaws, I mean even her hands are soft~   Wait wtf am I saying, why da fuq am I still shaking her hand? I broke away from my weird thoughts as she spoke.

"Why don't we be friends? Would you like to eat with me at dinner?" She exclaimed.

I practically screamed on the inside as I said yes to her calmly on the outside. I made my first friend!

Later that evening, after supper was over and we found potato girl dying of exhaustion and saved her with left over bread. I said goodnight to Mikasa as she went to the barracks early and was left to my own vices. I went over to the main hall, wanting to look at the stars on the porch before curfew starts.

As I looked up into the stars, it dawned on me how crazy my life changed in five years. Before everything happened, I was just the cliche bullied fat kid but at least I had a family. Now due to the food shortages, I look completely different but it doesn't even matter because what's the point? All of that mattered in grade school, not now. And plus, even if my family was really out there, would they recognize me? At least I was happy when I was bigger because they were around. I pondered my thoughts a bit longer until I became aware of something: I wasn't alone.

"Well, well, well, what's a pretty girl like you doing in the training corps?" A certain cocky male voice spoke out.

I cringed at the voice. Knowing exactly who it was but still turning around slowly to confirm. I stared at the tall albeit handsome but still smug cadet in front of me.

"Hi Jean!" I said in my fakest cheery sounding voice.

"Oh, should I be honored that you know my name, even with that fake happy tone?" He said in an interested tone as he slowly sauntered closer to me.

What bs is this man talking about? Of course I would know the name of my previous personal tormentor. What is he trying to say? Wait- didn't he call me pretty?

It dawned on me as I realized.

He doesn't recognize me.

I rolled my eyes at him as I thought.

This should be fun.

—————————-

Author's note: Umm this is my very first story so don't bully me🕺