Chapter 8

An array of horses lined the streets as a cheerful crowd was on either side of it. A blur of green capes above the horses, all facing the gate.

This was my first time, as a newly recruited Survey Corps cadet, going outside the walls. I don't know if what I'm feeling is dread or anticipation of what lies beyond, probably a merge of both.

I have done so much to be where I am today, three years passing by just like that. To think I would make friends, friends that would become like family gave me a sense of purpose. Now, I would do anything to protect them. I would live to protect them. And this promise starts now, to survive this expedition and protect humanity.

I took a deep breath as the gates slowly opened.

The 57th expedition was about to begin.

———————————-

Venturing out was notable to say the least as the abundant sound of hooves hit the verdant terrain. Outside of the walls embodied what freedom was, a viridescent landscape surrounded us the moment we left as a bright sky of cerulean blue welcomed us.

Much like the others, I was caught in a daze of the outlook in front of us, everything appearing more radiant as the Commander yelled from the crowded formation, warning us.

"I understand this is a new experience, but keep a steady mind, the farther we go, the closer we get to encountering Titans!"

The message was received, no matter how attention-grabbing the view was, this was Titan territory. I gripped the reigns of my horse tighter to remind myself to stay alert. We rode farther until Commander Erwin made the signal to break into our formations.

I was assigned to the left side of the formation, along with Connie and Sasha. Ever since it was discovered that Eren had the ability to turn into an ass whooping Titan, he has been under special training and observation by Hange and was placed in Captain Levi's squad.

Things have been different since joining. Everything became more serious. Eren is all of a sudden on Captain Levi's squad, Mikasa is worried all the time, Armin is sad but won't tell us why (99% sure it's because Annie joined the Military Police), and this whole Jean ordeal has been driving me nuts.

I feel like I'm in limbo, actually being outside the walls proved that. I never imagined this day, nor how I would feel.

I guess reality is becoming clearer. This isn't the training corps where you learn to go to the next step and nothing changes. This was the next step. The Survey Corps was humanity's closest thing in search for why Titans existed, and how to get rid of them.

A signal flare launched into the blue sky, crimson fumes breaking me from my thoughts. Ahead, a scrawny Titan with thoughtless eyes maundered towards, yet unaware of our presence. We followed protocol, pulling from supply bags red flares and discharging them up above.

Once the sky was consumed in a cardinal color, we steered our reigns to the left, shifting the formation. The encounter broke us up further into our own respected columns, three cadets in each. Connie, Sasha, and I began to ride out farther to the left, eventually losing sight of the center formation. Being recently recruited, we were assigned to communication, to send out flares in case of a Titan spotting or emergency.

"I CAN'T WAIT TO KICK TITAN ASS, YOU GUYS!" Connie yelled from up ahead.

"Are you out of your mind? Attacking them is WAY harder out here, especially on horse. It's better to avoid."

"Even I knew that, Connie." Sasha retorts.

He moderated his horse's pace, slowing down to ride beside me and Sasha to chuckle before sighing.