Chapter 28: For what was worth

*Hi everyone! I hope y'all had a great transitioning to another year. It had been hectic for me. I've suddenly had to deal with more responsibilities. So for those who waited and waited my apologies for this late post. We are entering a new arc to the story so the prep had taken longer than anticipated. Thank you for your support during the past year. Thank you for taking a second to vote and those who took a few more minutes to drop words of encouragement. Your support has been my inspiration to continue the story. Without further ado, enjoy!

Chapter 28:  For what was worth

Weiying ran to the other side of the mountain. He went as far as he could and a stream of water faced him. He could see the forest he had came from before entering the cavern entrance. The trees were halfway covered with floodwater. Weiying looked around and saw the trees around him. They all looked the same. He regretted not remembering clearly how they differ from one another.

The rain felled heavily and his feet was covered with water. The cave was perched somewhere on this stone mountain. It was quite difficult to find its entrance specially in a heavy rain like this where the fog was thick and the view was restricted. He moved around the mountain. The water reached his knees at certain point, then went up to his chest. The terrain over there was uneven. Just then, a rush of water came and he had to rush himself to a higher land to avoid being swept away. Each step he took only made his anxiety grew.

Lanzhan where are you?

How do I find you?

Weiying's heart was filled with bitterness. When his tears fell, the rain water that fell on his face washed it away quickly, erasing the trace of desperation he had. For a moment, he wanted to jump inside the raging waters and find his way, but then he held back the almost suicidal thoughts. Swimming blindly in this weather condition would not amount to anything.

Weiying thought he had swam around a safe distance and waited for a long time but there was not a soul in sight. When the sky turn dark, Weiying still had trouble discerning where exactly is the brightest point of light to point to the right compass direction. The fog was very thick afterall.

Could there be another exit to this cave? It was not an impossibility. Geographically, it was not uncommon for a cave to have multiple entrance and exits. Weiying waited around that proximity, prancing back and forth. When night fell, the rain had stopped. His whole body was soaked wet. His face pale. Shivering in the cold, Weiying climbed on a tree and perched himself on one of its sturdier branches. The muscles in his body was sore to the point where each subtle movements was difficult to manage without trembling. He watched the water surrounding the tree bark below. The night was not entirely dark since the countless grey clouds made the sky gray instead of black. The wounds in his body that was gettin better before was now worsening.

Weiying felt sharp pain in his stomach. He had not been eating at all. Weiying opened his soaked bagpack and found himself a soaked piece of cloth and a soaked piece of bread. It was damp and smelled bad. Weiying was born with a silver spoon and never had to worry about his meals. He stared at the damp piece of bread that was out of shape.

Lanzhan, maybe if I starve myself to death I will meet you soon in the afterlife. Weiying wept as he thought of how sad his mother would be to see him gone. And then there was a thought that what if against all odds Lanzhan did make it alive, then wouldn't he die for nothing. As he wept silently, he finally stuffed the remaining bread on his mouth, gobbling it up mercilessly before forcing it down his throat. Its texture was soggy and its unpleasant taste attacked his taste buds but Weiying didnt care one bit. He had to survive and resume search when daylight comes. He didnt want to leave this place without him.