Chapter 21: Wounds underneath my skin

*Hello beloved readers, thank you for your support in this story thus far, your comments and your votes, and most of all for patiently waiting for the next update. I hope the story continues to find its way into your hearts. Without further ado, Enjoy!

Chapter 21: The Wounds Underneath my Skin

Distant drumbeats, faraway, marking the start of something unpleasant. The smell of fear reverberated in the humid air.

It was a busy day full of tension in the Wen camp.

"Has it started?"

"My lord, I've heard, prince Chen of Qi forced their way to Xu border. The armies had begun to clash. It was chaos everywhere."

So it finally began. The frail tension that held them all together was cracking. All it took was a little spark, and war was ignited.

"What of the prisoners my lord?"

"We have no time to deal with those small fries. Leave them as they are for the time being. They might come in handy later on."

"Call in the generals and my sister Wenling. We have a war to decide."

"My lord, we have guests. Its an envoy from Xu"

Another soldier came in hurriedly with his report.

"They came quicker than I anticipated. Let them in."

Greetings Lord Wenxu, my name is General Sun jian, I bear an important message from the king of Xu.

The man in purple robe sat on his throne, his aura was imposing and his face carry depth and experience of a seasoned warrior. Wenxu was afterall, a pioneer of his time. He single handedly fought his way through negotiating and uniting the north and made it into the Wen territory it was today. They have enjoyed a good decade of peace. He was not going to let the war from the other side ruin twenty years of his hard work.

The envoy carried an entourage of neat looking soldiers bearing numerous gifts that were laid out in large heavy chests all across the throne room. The envoy and his entourage slowly opened the elaborate gifts and presented them to the Wen king, Wenxu.

"Dispense with the formality. I've heard of your cavalry General Sun. Speak to me what it is you have come for."

Unbeknowst to Wenxu, a lone figure was hiding in she shadows behind the screen of his throne room.

"Miss, lets go back. What if we get caught?"

"Shhh.. my uncle won't do anything to me. Rest assured."

"I am here to offer you a friendly alliance between our two kingdoms."

"May I know what will come out of it?"

"We will tear apart Qi's primal defenses and weaken it enough that they could no longer fight against us. Upon victory, my king plan to give you half of the conquered kingdom."

The northern territory had the most difficult terrain thus was the hardest to conquer in its entirety. This also gave them an advantage over the other kingdoms. The river flows to other regions and they also had the benefit of lesser floodings since they have fewer rivers compared to the Qi and Xu. Qi's farmlands were most abundant yet they had to deal with numerous flood and countless failed harvest. Rainy season was when they would be at their weakest. The government will concentrate its efforts to combat flooding and would not have enough resources to wage on full warfare.

"To show our sincerity, we also come with a marriage proposal between our eldest prince and your niece."

'Clang'