Chapter 9: Don't you know I am also a Man

Meanwhile, during the two years, Yuxian became Minister Wei's adopted son, WeiWuXian. They travelled to various states and the neighboring kingdom in disguise checking the maps and flood control measures. If everyone would unite and exchanged maps of their own territory, this work of gathering data would finish fairly quickly. However, it was not possible as the five kingdoms had their own political interests to uphold. Thus the father and son created their own river map of the five kingdoms. The five territories may be separated by borders yet the river that flows through them were linked thus one kingdom might not be unaffected by what the other did.

The dykes at Longxi stretched out for miles and miles along the Golden riverbanks. WeiWuXian sat on a shaded stone atop a cliff overseeing the dykes' maintenance. There were workers laying extra stone bricks and filling wet clay on visible cracks along the dyke walls. He had hoped the dykes were enough to stop flooding in the upcoming rainy season.

They had to be at Longxi under imperial decree during this time of the year since the flooding reports had come in the year before. Thus The Minister of Agriculture and waterworks WeiMing had to step in and ensure the problem would not continue that year.

"Father, this map doesn't make any sense. If you compare it with the old map there should be another tributary around this area. If the dykes are not strong enough then the water might flood the banks."

"The dykes should be strong enough Weiying, we have raised the height about twenty centimeters."

However, there was doubt in Weiming's eyes.

"I'm still worried father. Tomorrow I will search round the mountain for a hidden river channel."

"Okay son. Take Yubin and Yuwen with you."

The next day the three set off toward the mountain.

"Young master, what are we looking for again?" Yuwen asked.

"I'm trying to find a hidden tributary to channel some of the river water to another direction. Look for wet surfaces or openings in the mountain walls or ground."

Weiying felt it strange that a line in the map that represented a river tributary was actually missing when he inspected it for real.

After half a day, they did find a patch of grass that was different than the rest of the area. They followed the pattern and reached a mountain wall.

Dead end.

The mountain was covered in vegetation. Weiying told Yuwen and Yubin to cut down the vegetation. The vertical vines that covered the mountain wall was thick and thick soil grew behind. They pry it bit by bit and reached a hard surface.

A large boulder.

The trio worked to move the boulder and when it was finally pushed away, there was an opening. WeiWuXian was estatic like he had discovered a treasure. He took out his map and marked the spot.

By then the last ray of sun had faded away into the back of the mountain.

"Young master, lets head back to camp and come back tomorrow." 

Weiying contemplated to stay in the vicinity since he did not want to leave his huge discovery just yet. However, the woods were also dangerous at night so he reluctantly followed Yubin's suggestion.

By the time they arrived back at camp, everyone had finished dinner and was about to tuck in. Luckily, the cook left them their portions.

Their dinner was simple roasted duck on a bed of greens and a hearty bowl of steaming rice. The cook had graciously kept the food warm for them.