Chapter 2: Horses hate the smell of foxgrass

As expected, Yuxian's performance in the military arts school was outstanding. It was not long before he ascended the student ranks to become one of the darlings of the school. To top it off, he had a cheerful personality and was pleasant to everyone and he quickly become the most loved discipline amongst the teachers and his fellow student.

Yuxian was those rare gifted student who took no time in mastering the arts of archery, music, calligraphy, ritual, and mathematics.

Time flew by and Weiying was sixteen years of age, Yubin and Yuwen were seventeen and eighteen.

"Young mistress, if you're so good at everything, I'm afraid it will be hard for you to find an actual husband who is better than you." Yubin said one day.

"Yes yes, no man will live up to your standards!" Yuwen added

"Then I will stay single! I don't need a man in my life!" No I will marry the most beautiful woman in time you dumbass!

"Nooo.. Don't say that young mistress! Don't let anyone hear that! We Yu brothers swear that he will only find the best man in the world worthy of you!"

Weiming frowned as Yuxi told him the news. "Weiying is getting better and better. He needed to keep a low profile. If this continues, he will be trained under the imperial military school and by that time it will be harder to hide his identity." He said to his wife.

After Aying's birth it seemed that the curse was broken and Madame had given birth successfully to two more girls.

In the Wei Residence, Weiying's true identity was a highly guarded secret. The only ones aware besides his parents were their trusted aides uncle Yuxi and Naima. Even Weiying's younger sisters Wanqing and Wanping did not know that their 'sister' was actually a 'brother'.

It was a hot noon and the students took their turn shooting targets with a bow and arrow on horseback. The spiritual targets were tied with a red ribbon on their feet. They were not real birds, just spiritual birds that mimic real birds.

The students had to collect the red ribbons as part of their training.

Despite excelling at everything else, Weiying's weakness was animals. He was not good with horses. He always thought the animal had an enmity with him. They refused to listen to his commands and would give him trouble. He would kick the horse and the horse would not move. When he wanted the horse to slow down, it would kick around almost causing him to fall.

That day was especially hot and since Weiying was quite sensitive to heat, he raced ahead of Yubin and Yuwen. When he got to the forest covers, his horse became especially cranky and jumping around angry and threw Weiying off the horse. He was about to fall and hit the ground when he a strong pair of arm grabbed him, breaking his fall.

It was a fellow student dressed in white. He was holding Weiying, his hands were on his back and thighs. Weiying had never been held this way by anyone before. He was startled and almost push the guy away in reflex. Shocked at his reaction, the guy dropped him roughly to the ground.

'Ouch!!' He looked up at the boy who was around Yubin's age. He was wearing a white robe that was flowing in the breeze. His figure stood tall and firm like a cypress tree. Feeling the burn in his behind from the fall, Weiying glared at the stone-faced beauty.

It was Lanwangji, the top student in the academy.

"Why did you have to drop me like that?? Can't you be gentler?"

"Gentle? Are you a girl?"

"You!!! Still!! You don't have to be so rough!!"

"Why are you holding a foxgrass stalk in your hand? Are you stupid?"