Chapter Twenty-Four

Bryce, Aelin and Feyre appeared in a swirl of shadows down a long alleyway, close to the Autumn King's palace. Bryce had shown them where to winnow on a map beforehand.

Bryce peeked around the stone corner, watching as elegantly-dressed beings slowly entered the mansion, masks fixed over their faces. She swore, ducking back into their hiding place.

"What's wrong?" Aelin hissed, her turquoise eyes glowing.

"They've got security scanners." At their confused looks, she explained, "metal objects that can sense any weapons or magic being used. They're meant to provide extra protection."

"Shit. And since when were they here?"

Bryce ran a hand over her face. "I have no fucking idea. They must've been placed last night as a security measure."

"Well, how are we going to get through them?" Feyre asked. "If they can detect magic, I cant cast a glamor to hide out weapons."

"So, either we risk it and hope the detectors don't pick up on Feyre's glamour, or we go in defenceless." Aelin rolled her eyes. "Great."

Bryce glared at her. "There has to be another way to get in."

Suddenly, Feyre's eyes lit up. "Hold on. Lets do the second idea."

Bryce and Aelin gaped at her. Was she out of her mind? Bryce thought. Probably.

"We can leave our weapons here, enter undetected, then I can winnow back out and grab them."

Bryce shook her head. "No go. The mansion is protected with a  bewitchment that can sense whenever somewhere is trying to enter using magic."

"Well, then I can bring them in using shadow magic. Like Rhys does."

Bryce frowned a little, not really understanding. "If you're sure it will work?"

"Positive."

She sighed, and began unloading her daggers and guns onto a pile behind a garbage can. "Fine. Let's just get this over with. The sooner my gun is back in my hand, the sooner I'll be able to bet the shit out of some alpha-holes."

Aelin grinned. "You know, you'll have to let me have a go at that gun, Quinlan."

"Never in a million years."

Soon enough, there was a sizeable pile of deadly weapons hidden in the alley. Bryce felt almost naked without her guns; ever since the whole fucked-up... situation with Micah, she had never really felt safe without her guns and daggers.

Finally done with emptying their gowns of any sharp objects, then slipped into the crowd heading towards the slowly dwindling line walking through the security scanners.

They all relaxed, and began giggling like complete airheads to try and blend in better with the other females. As they approached the security scanners, mean-looking guards watching them, Bryce flashed them her invitations. "Hello, boys. Please tell dear old dad I'm here."

The guard she was talking to gulped, his eyes going wide. "You're... You're Bryce Quinlan."

"Mmhmm. Now get out of my way before I blast you to smithereens."

She heard Aelin's quiet chuckle as the guard scampered back to his post, mumbling for them to enter. Bryce stepped confidently through the scanners, an odd electrical tingling zinging through her body. But she made it through without a problem. Aelin and Feyre quickly passed through the scanners as well, not a single beep interrupting their passage.

She just caught Feyre's slight sigh of relief, and the three of them began to walk up the large stone path to the elegant mansion. The Autumn King's home was a massive, cream-coloured manor, the ground scattered with fall leaves. They crunched under Bryce's heels and she held her chin high, strutting pass other party goers who lingered around the oak trees lining the drive.

Aelin let out a low whistle. "That's some home."

Bryce rolled her eyes. "It's too ostentatious for me. And that's saying a lot."

Feyre fiddled with the ends of her hair as they paused at the open double doors, fae-light orbs floating around their heads. Fireflies fluttered in the dark night air. "Alright. Let's do this."

Aelin gave a shit-eating grin. "Lets give them a night to remember."