Chapter Nine

Aelin slept fitfully that night, tossing and turning in the bed that she and Feyre shared. Pissed off, she threw off her blankets, getting to her feet.

She padded out of the room, rubbing her shoulders. Before she had gone to bed, she had changed into a pair of pants that fell to her upper thighs, and a massive shirt.

She tied her hair up into a knot atop her head, quietly shutting the door behind her. She walked through the main room, and out onto the large terrace. The cool night wind brushed against her face, and she closed her eyes, leaning on the balcony and crossing one ankle over the other.

She breathed in deep. She had to get back home as soon as possible. Since time worked differently in different worlds, who knew how long she had been gone from Terrasen. A day? A month?

She sighed, listening to the odd and strange sounds.

"...I still can't believe that Bryce Quinlan is Heir to the Starborn Fae."

Aelin tensed, tilting her head down to the two females who were strolling below. They continued to talk, unaware someone was listening to their conversation.

"Well, I heard she's going to be at the White Raven tonight. They rebuilt it straight after the attacks."

"The White Raven," Aelin murmured. This Bryce Quinlan is Heir to the Starborn Fae, whatever that was. Was she the Star they were looking for?

With her mind made up, she headed confidently back into the main house. She crept by Feyre's sleeping body, slipping into the nearby closet. After ruffling through the crazy outfits, she found a dress that looked similar to the ones those females were wearing.

She quickly changed in the bathroom, applying cosmetics as quiet as she could. She combed out and re-did her hair, sprayed some perfume, and stared in the mirror at her final look.

She wore a deep green, one-shouldered dress that sparkled with every little movement she made. It barely reached mid-thigh, and with that she had a pair of strappy black heels. Her hair fell down her back, and kohl lined her eyes. Large golden hoops hung from her earlobes, and she carried a black hand-purse that contained some knives from the kitchen.

Dressed in her new warriors outfit, she slipped out of the house. "Time to find Bryce Quinlan," she murmured.

~

Aelin strolled confidently through the streets, following the distinct rose scent one of the females had left behind. She passed many beings, both Fae and not, but none of them stopped her.

The rose smell lead her about a mile away from the apartment, and into a dark looking bar. Thumping music echoed from the inside, and there was a long line waiting to get in, along with someone checking for verification in the doorway.

Swearing, she walked along the sides of the building, looking for a way in. Conveniently, there was a window leading into what she assumed was a washroom, hopefully the women's.

Unstrapping her heels and biting the straps, she dug her fingers into the cracks in the brick wall, scaling it with ease. Earlier that night, she and Feyre had completely healed each other's wounds, so the hole in Aelin's thigh was sealed over.

She lifted up the window, dropping to her feet on the dirty floor. She wrinkled her nose at the smell of vomit and alcohol, and quickly put her heels back on and smoothed her hair down. There was a female puking into a toilet, and others milled around, chatting and tapping away on small pads in their hands. None of them looked up as Aelin slid through the door and into the main club.

It was dark and shadowy, with a large dance floor and many secluded booths curtained off on the sides. Courtesans wandered the large crowd, flashing their considerable assets. She strode confidently through the crowd, squeezing through drunk couples and off-their-faces party-goers.

She sat at a stool at the bar, crossing one leg over the other. "What'll it be, gorgeous?" the bar attendant said, dressed in a black shirt with the sleeves rolled up his muscular arms.

Aelin arched a brow, slipping into a new persona entirely as she smiled suggestively. "Whatever you think I should have, handsome."

The man chuckled darkly, then grabbed some drinks from behind him. "A Negroni it is." He placed a drink before her, before winking and sauntering off. She rolled her eyes, taking a tiny sip of her drink.

She put it back down, needing to be in the right state of mind to find this Star. She had considered waking up Feyre to join her, but to be honest, she worked better alone.

"And who left a beautiful girl like you all alone?"

Aelin turned with a sly smile to the male behind her. "I'm afraid no-one left me alone. I came by myself."

The male's blue eyes glowed in the dark. "Well, I can't let you be by yourself all night long." He offered her a hand, and she took it, getting to her feet. Perhaps this male could tell her something about Bryce Quinlan if she got him drunk enough.

He lead her onto the dance floor, his hands on her hips. Shoving her disgusted thoughts down, she swayed to the music with him. His piercings glowed in the dancing lights, and his hair-half of it shaved, the other side long and black-gleaming.

His hands squeezed her hips as they moved together. She fought away the urge to vomit. She was a mated female, and she had another male's hands all over her.

She wrapped her arms around his neck, biting her lip. He asked, his voice husky, "What's your name, sweetheart?"

Aelin tilted her head. "Anansi Cozbi. And you are?"

The male grinned, the hoop on his lip stretching. "Ruhn Danaan."

"Ruhn, hmmm?" She slipped a hand around his neck, grinding her hips against his. "Odd name."

Ruhn cocked his head. "I don't think you can say much. Doesn't Anansi mean 'deceit'?"

Aelin grinned, breathing in the same air as Ruhn. "Exactly," she whispered.