Chapter Ten

Aelin and Ruhn danced for a little longer, his hands wondering all over her curves. It took all of her will not to burst into flames; not out of desire, but out of disgust and anger. But this was the part she had to play if she were to get the information she wanted.

Aelin pulled away as the most recent song ended, fanning herself with a hand. "I'm hot. Let's take a break."

A hand on her lower back, Ruhn lead her over to a small booth, where two other males sat. Ruhn gestured to a red-haired male with amber eyes. "This is Declan Emmet," he nodded to the other male. "And this is Tristan Flynn."

They both inclined their heads at her. Aelin tilted up her chin. Declan shot Ruhn a look. "I see you've caught your prey for tonight."

Ruhn chuckled darkly, leaning in the brush a kiss against Aelin's shoulder as his hands on her back squeezed. "It seems I have." Aelin found the urge to gag.

Tristan offered her a rolled piece of paper, gesturing to a line of powder on the table. "Want a hit?"

She shook her head, her Fae senses warning her of the substance. "I'm good. I think I'll stick with the alcohol."

Tristan shrugged. "Suit yourself."

Declan gestured for Aelin and Ruhn to take a seat. "So, where did you find a treat like her?"

"At the bar. This poor thing was all by herself."

Aelin seriously considered just burning their faces off and getting her information that way, but she held herself back. She flipped her hair over her shoulder. "So, what are you celebrating tonight?"

Ruhn slung an arm over the back of her seat. "That my dear sister, Bryce Quinlan, saved us from those fucking demons."

Aelin arched a brow, taking a drink from a passing waiter and pushing it under Ruhn's nose. "Really?"

Ruhn looked at her suspiciously as he took a sip. "Do you not know what happened?"

Aelin shrugged, batting her eyelids. "I'm not from around here."

Ruhn gave a dark laugh. "Well, Anansi, you are definitely a surprise." He took the rolled paper from Tristan and placed it on the line of powder, putting his nose to it and inhaling it quickly and swiftly.

He pulled back, exhaling happily. "That's the stuff." His hand creeped down Aelin's thigh, his cold fingers brushing over her bare skin.

She stood suddenly, needing to get out of here. It was too much. She quickly flicked back on her new mask, putting away her normal one, and bent over towards Ruhn, pushing her shoulders forward and plumping her cleavage. "I'm going to go.. Freshen up," she said, running and finger down the side of his cheek. His blue eyes glowed with desire.

She turned and sauntered across the dance floor, heading to the bathrooms, swishing her hips as she did so. When she entered the bathroom, she collapsed against the grimy wall, taking shuddering breaths in and out.

She buried her face in her hands. She just wanted to go home. At that moment, she didn't care about Feyre's world, or this one. She wanted to go home.

She sniffed, lowering her hands. She inspected the giant emerald on her left hand, twinkling in the yellow light. She had no idea how Ruhn hadn't seen it; perhaps he didn't care. She brushed her finger over the precious gem. "I'll be home soon," she whispered, pressing a kiss to the gem. To Rowan.

~

Aelin sashayed back into the throng, her mask back on her face. Anansi Cozbi strutted over to Ruhn, sliding into his lap. He seemed to have gotten even drunker in the short time she had been in the bathroom, his blue eyes glazed and vacant.

"So, tell me," she said, running a sharp nail down his forearm. "Is this Bryce here celebrating with us?"

Ruhn nodded his head over to another booth, where a female sat with two others, her wine-red hair glowing in the faelight. "She's off with Axtar and Juniper. Probably gossiping about who got laid."

Aelin cocked her head, studying the female. Deciding on ehr next move, she said, "Hey, Ruhn, why don't we go somewhere a little more... private?"

Declan whooped, and Ruhn gave her a wicked grin. "Why not?" He purred. She delicately got off his lap, grabbing his hand and tugging him towards the bathrooms. He stumbled after her, his spare hand brushing her backside as they went. She shoved her gag down, opening the women's bathroom. It was empty, thankfully.

Ruhn didn't waste any time. He shoved her into a large stall, pinning her against a wall as his lips crashed onto hers. She kissed him back, lifting a leg and wrapping it around his waist. He ground into her, and Aelin wanted to cry, trying to imagine this was Rowan, not some random asshole-

He hands tangled in his long hair, pulling at it as his hands made their way to the back of her dress. Just as his hands found her zipper, she ripped his head back, a knife at the base of his throat.