15

"Tikki, what're you doing," Chat's voice is one of barely controlled anger. When Tikki doesn't answer, instead choosing to look away and sniffle, Marinette stands up for her. "It's okay, I saw her and called her over." Chat doesn't look convinced and instead turns calls for Plagg and begins to get up. "What?" The grumpy kwami floats over and sees Tikki. "Fuck." He says, awake all of a sudden. "That's what I said," Chat says and stands up on the bed.

"Come on, we gotta go," he says as he begins to look for his shoes from the top of the bed. "What? Why?" When Chat doesn't reply Marinette sets her shoulders and gets up, standing in front of him, her fingers ghosting against his wrist. "Why do you have to go?" She asks again and Chat avoids her eyes. "Tikki wasn't supposed to talk to you." He says and looks over at the kwami in annoyance.

The small creature looks guilty, but somehow Marinette can tell she's getting annoyed. "Why not? Ladybug is gone, why can't she talk to someone?" Immediately Marinette knows she's breached a topic she isn't supposed to speak about.

"Ladybug isn't gone, she'll be back." Chat says dejectedly, transforming as he says it and Marinette takes notice of his tail curling around his leg. "Tikki said she retired, that she gave up being Ladybug." Chat yowls and glares at the blankets. "She did- but she'll be back. She isn't gone for good." Marinette's brows furrow in frustration and she's at a loss for words.

Something is wrong, she can feel it. She isn't supposed to be asking about this, but something is wrong here, she can feel it. She has to set it right. "Ladybug is gone Chat. Even if it's just for a minute, it doesn't change the fact that she's gone. She left Chat," the words bring tears to her eyes and make her feel guilt and grief and exhaustion, "She left you to defend Paris by yourself, she left Tikki all alone.

"A hero wouldn't do that!" That draws a line as a deep yowl rumbles in Chat's throat and Tikki gasps. "You don't know what you're talking about! She is a hero, she's the bravest person I've ever met and she will be back! Tikki shouldn't have talked to you, now we have to go visit the master." Tikki gives him a small glare and Marinette feels protective of the creature instantly. "Leave her alone Chat, she didn't do anything wrong. Come here Tikki," the kwami flies to her quickly.

"It isn't her fault she sought out company. She's been alone, and if you've been treating her like this this whole time then I don't blame her!" Marinette looks at Chat angrily and he actually takes a step back, his ears pressing flat against his head as he glares at the floor down beneath the loft bed.

"What do you know, you can't even remember anything," he spits out venomously and Marinette takes a step back. "Get out." She says, "Get out and don't come back tonight." The boy looks up at her, surprised to see the downright agonized look on her face.

He knows he should reach out to her, but he also knows he might just make it worse if he does. "Come on Tikki," he says but the kwami doesn't move. "I'm going to stay here with her. Tell the master if you want. You aren't the only one that misses Ladybug," Tikki says quietly and Chat goes to say something but Marinette steps in front of the kwami.

"Don't you say another word to her, get the hell out of my room."

"Your miraculous is still at my house, come back when you want," he says, making a point to not look at either of them and give clarity to who he's speaking to.

With that, Chat leaves and Marinette locks her skylight. She glares at it, wishing she could say some choice words to the infuriating ally cat but also being glad he left so that she couldn't.

You shouldn't let him speak to you that way.

She knows.

Next time he does that you should show him just how much you can't remember.

She doesn't want to.

If you don't tell anyone then no one can help you. His master is good with memories. Perhaps the little ladybug could take you.

No, no they couldn't, the master is meant to be hidden.

Oh? And how would you know that little seamstress?

She doesn't know.

"Marinette? I'm sorry, Chat didn't mean what he said. He's just sad that you can't remember a lot of things," Tikki says quietly. "He misses Ladybug a lot," Marinette says finally, turning around from where she glowered at the window. "He really does like you a whole lot though! He just has a bad temper, especially when he transforms while in a bad mood. Gets it from his father."

Marinette sighs and sits down. "I'm sorry we put you through that, I know a little bit about his father and have some knowledge of his tempers but that doesn't mean he should treat you that way." Marinette reaches her hand out and Tikki flies over to sit on it, positively beaming up at the teen. Both of them have dark bags under their eyes and exhausted looks to their postures.

But, they both feel so comfortable, so at peace and so fucking safe here with only each other for company that they seem to relax. "I hope that he doesn't get akumatized," Tikki whispers suddenly and Marinette turns to look out the window. "I don't think he will be, Hawkmoth has been quiet recently. I think he's given up."

A cold laugh can be heard in Marinette's head, as Tikki giggles. "Maybe he opened up a flower shop!" Marinette laughs and nods. "I bet he's making a lot of sales, do you think he wears his costume at work or just a mask?" Tikki giggles. "I bet he wears a bright pink apron over his suit!"

They're both exhausted, they're both hurt, but they both feel so much better in each other's company. Marinette almost feels like she isn't completely missing something anymore. It's a nice change of pace.