vi

She hadn't noticed that the entire coffee shop laid empty except for one table, preoccupied by Katherine herself. She hadn't noticed how dark it had gotten, either, as the only light protruded from the cafe and her small computer screen that shone in her face.

She could barely hear his voice when he spoke.

"Excuse me," the voice said, rather in a whisper, and Katherine slightly jumped.

She looked up to the lanky boy who stood behind the counter all day, presently towering above her. He had a backpack lazily slung over one shoulder.

Katherine looked around the cafe instinctively, only to find it empty.

"I'm sorry, I totally lost track of time." She apologized, and started to gather up her stuff.

But the boy stopped her. "No, no. It's fine. You can stay a while longer if you need." he nodded at the messy pile of papers and the laptop in front of her. "You look preoccupied."

Katherine gave him a funny look and hesitated, but within the minute she studied the boy's face and considered her options (that her thoughts had now gotten on a role and that she did not want to delay that by a long journey home), she stayed.

"Thanks," Katherine hesitated.

The boy still stood there, though, as if also considering his options. And after two awkward pauses, he asked, "Do you mind if I sit?"

He received another funny look from Katherine.

"I have to 'supervise' if there are customers present in the cafe." he explained quickly.

Katherine was reluctant, but nodded anyway. After the barista boy had settled into the chair across from her, she became lost in her train of thought already, ignoring the abrupt act of subtle spontaneity.

Out of the corner of her eye, though, she could see the boy-Finn-doodling on his of homework (math, she guessed). They sat in silence, him doodling and her typing away.

Katherine did not know how long they sat there in this strange, yet refreshing silence until sleep got the best of them.

"Sorry to keep you here," Katherine told Finn when they stood outside as she watched him lock the door of the cafe.

"Stop apologizing."

A small smile formed on Katherine's face, illuminated by a dim street light nearby.

"I never got your name," she added, before they parted separate ways.

And although Katherine knew it well, the picture of his name tag popping up in her mind, she still listened when he replied with, "Finn."

What she did not know, though, was that this would be the first of many late-night sittings in a coffee shop with a curious barista boy.

"I'm Katherine."