xxiii

🎶Well hold on, my darling
This mess was yours,
Now your mess is mine🎶

Vance Joy, Mess is Mine

//

Finn had always been fascinated by airports. Just the mere idea of them was extraordinary. It was a bittersweet place. Some may think of leaving behind home. Others may think of it as a door to a new adventure. Finn was stuck in the middle. But that's what an airport was; a middle-way.

Katherine didn't mind airports. She didn't really mind the busyness, but she didn't like the waiting. It made her feel anxious, like how she felt right now.

She didn't think she was going to make it. After the whole quarrel with the ticket lady, Katherine was apprehensive, and as she searched the sign for the correct gate, she felt like hurling her suitcase across the hall. She pushed through the incoming traffic of people carelessly, the wheels of her suitcase skidding behind her obnoxiously.

She wasn't even sure if she would be able to find him, but when her eyes set upon gate 47A, she spotted him sat in one of those plastic, uncomfortable chairs, looking out the window. There was a small green suitcase and a backpack by his feet. She smiled a little when she saw that he was holding a cup of coffee in his hands.

Katherine jumped when the airline agent's voice boomed through the gate area, announcing that they were going to board in ten. It was then that Finn noticed her as he turned towards the flight announcement.

At first, he looked like he didn't believe it, gawking at her, dumbfounded. But then he slowly stood up from his seat.

"Katherine?" he frowned.

"Hey," she replied, breathless, and at a moment lost at words.

Finn walked closer to her. "What are you doing here?"

Katherine fiddled with her bag, chewing on her lip.

"I saw your painting." She said as she stared out the window, watching a plane take off and disappearing into the clouds.

"And I'm going to France with you."

Finn hesitated, lost at words himself. "Don't you...don't you have class?"

She laughed a little at that, nodding. "Yes, I do. But Finn," Katherine adverted her eyes back to him, "I don't want to go. For once, I don't care."

"But...but what about medical school?" he asked, incredulous.

Katherine laughed again. She wondered if she was going crazy. "Haven't you heard? I didn't get in."

Admittedly, she wanted to get a smile out of him. She didn't.

Finn didn't say anything. He stared at her, searching for something, although he was not sure what. The flight attendant announced that they were boarding in five.

"Look Finn-I'm going to France with you. Because that's what people do when the love someone. They follow them. And they do ridiculous things. I'm sorry it took me so long to realize that. I've also realized that I'm not actually living, Finn. I want to really live. So although it's extremely irrational and possibly stupid, I'm going to France with you." she paused and held her breath, waiting for Finn to respond.

When he didn't, she added, "Plus, I don't know if I can get a refund on this ticket."

After a while, Finn shook his head. "Why do you always have to ruin the moment, Katherine?"

She laughed, feeling somewhat relieved, even though Finn did not return it.

With time, she reminded herself.

The intercom came on again, notifying the passengers that flight 47A was now boarding. While Finn and Katherine waited in line, a new adventure to await, Katherine glanced at him.

She was sure about one thing: she was not leaving.

As he caught her stare, his eyes softened.

Katherine was a mess. A complete, chaotic mess, but Finn was too. They were a tangled mess within themselves, and a tangled mess together.

With time. With time, they'd be okay. Because while maybe Katherine thought she wasn't worth it, Finn was. He was worth it.

When they reached the jetway, they looked at each other, anxious.

Finn raised his eyebrows at Katherine before continuing on.

"Let's?" his face broke into a small smile, but a smile big enough that she could map out his dimples once more. She hoped that it was enough.

"Let's," she confirmed.

And at that moment, it was.

//

The end!

Thank you to all who commented and voted, or just simply read and loved it! I welcome you to imagine Finn and Katherine's one of many adventures however you wish!

Also, a big thank you to the beautiful songs I used for this story: Her Morning Elegance by Oren Lavie and Mess is Mine by Vance Joy (in which of course, I do not own).

Much love,
Niomi