Chapter Nine- Not Again

CAROLINE COULD HEAR HER MOTHER  yelling just outside the door, and the monster was not happy about it

The roaring in her ears was so loud that she had her hands clamped over her ears, rocking back and forth. Her hair was in her eyes, but she didn't bother to move it. The monster had complete control over her body anyway, so what was the point of even trying?

The only comforting thing in the entire situation was Will and Lucas' soft snoring, rivaling her rapid breathing. Lucas' head lay on the end of her bed, slumped forward from the chair he was sleeping in. He looked so relaxed while he was asleep; soft and calm, his shoulders rising and dropping steadily.

"Spread, spread, spread," Caroline squeezed her eyes shut and clenched her finger around her head when the monster gave a particularly loud roar. She tried to lower her voice, at least, to let the boys sleep.

Will wasn't asleep anymore, though. He gasped and sat bolt upright, clutching his chest. He and Caroline exchanged a look and the blood drained from her face as her Twintuition let her know exactly what he was thinking.

"What happened?" Lucas was up too now, blinking groggily. His voice was hoarse from the few hours of sleep he had gotten. He grabbed Caroline's hand. "Are you hurting again?"

Will's eyes were wide. He stared at his sister. "I saw something," he stammered.

"In your now-memories?" Lucas's big brown eyes darkened. "What was it?"

"The shadow monster," Caroline whispered. One look at Lucas and she knew the plan was working.

"I think we know how to stop him," Will finished.

The hope in Lucas's eyes made the real Caroline want to scream, wishing she could protect him from what was about to happen.

A recreation of what was taped to the walls in the Byers house lay out on the table in front of the twins, pictures  of their psychotic episode out for the whole room to see.

Caroline's eyes darted all over the photographs, looking for the one spot the monster was telling her to find. It was very important, vital for her to get this right.

"Sam, this is ludicrous." One of the doctors had leaned over to Owens, muttering in his ear.

"Just give him a moment, okay?" Owens held up a hand, studying the twins intently.

"We don't have time to-"

Hopper stood tall, his voice booming across the table. "Hey, jackass, why don't you do us all a favor and shut up, okay?"

Will exchanged a glance with Caroline, too small for anyone else in the room to even notice. He got up and pointed to one particular photo, the hub of the drawing. "That's it."