Chapter Twelve: Brick Shithouse

LUCAS HAD HATED HER ONCE.

Back in the beginning, when Will had first disappeared, and they had found El in the woods, Lucas had been so angry. Angry at the fact that his friend was gone, at the fact that Caroline was hurting, at the fact that Eleven had come along and suddenly that's all his friends wanted to talk about.

Part of it had definitely been fueled by Caroline. She was right; they had gone out that night searching for Will, not another problem. Will was their best friend, her brother, and all the rest of the group wanted to do was marvel at El's powers. The whole thing had been extremely suspicious to him; all the pieces fell into place too quickly. She had to have some kind of ulterior motive, right?

But the more time he spent with her, he saw a completely different person. She didn't fit the norm, that was for sure- but if there was anything Lucas knew from being the only Black kid in Hawkins, it was that being different wasn't bad. Beneath the shaved head and terrifying stare and goddamn superpowers, El was just scared.

A scared little girl who didn't have anyone to go to, or anyone to ask for help.

She just needed a friend.

It wasn't until that night in the classroom, his hands slick with his girlfriend's blood as he kept his palms pressed against her gunshot wound, the screeches of the monster in the doorway, the feeling of Callie's heart stopping- that he really got it.

It wasn't until El stood up and faced the demogorgon head on, using the last of her powers and strength to save them, that everything was put into perspective.

It didn't matter how long you had known someone. The biggest, most important thing to Lucas Sinclair was loyalty. You never turned your back on a friend. You were always there when someone you loved needed you, or needed your help.

He had been prepared to sacrifice his life that night.

But Eleven beat him to it.

Even after she was gone, Lucas realized that that was the definition of a friend. Eleven was the most loyal person he had ever known. She was there for him until the end. She died to help them, to give them a chance at survival.

Now here she stood, once again, and he had nothing but respect for her.

"El," he whispered.

Mike didn't even speak. He just moved forward, a look of pure joy and relief on his face. Like the weight of the world had been lifted from his shoulders.

Like he was home.

Eleven's face broke out into the sweetest, saddest smile Lucas had ever seen. She stumbled forward at the same time and the two grabbed onto each other, pulling into an embrace that was so very long overdue.

Olivia was on the floor, grasping her hands to her chest like her heart was splitting in two. Her shoulders trembled with silent sobs as Steve knelt behind her, rubbing her back with tears in his eyes. He looked up at Eleven, but the little girl only had eyes for Mike.

She still hadn't seen her sister yet.

"I never gave up on you," Mike stared down at Eleven with teary eyes, his hands holding hers in between their chests. "I called you every night. Every night for-"

"353 days," Eleven whispered. Her eyes darted between his, drinking in every inch of him. "I heard."

Mike's eyebrows furrowed. "Why didn't you tell me you were there? That you were okay?"

"Because I wouldn't let her."

The group turned to see Jim Hopper, whose eyes were glued on Eleven. His harsh features had softened to something like relief.